K10: Constant 12v feed

Hi folks, I'm new to MSC and this is my first post. I'm really impressed by the amount of knowledge on display on the site - I've learnt loads about my car (an '87 Colette) by reading old threads.

I'm in the middle of installing a new HU and speakers. I reckon I've traced the Micra's switched 12v and ground no problem, but I'd like to run a constant 12v line. People on previous, similar threads have mentioned running one directly from the battery, so I wanted to ask:

1) how is it that I do this, in terms of physically connecting to the battery?
2) how do I get the cable back through the bulkhead?

Sorry if these are kind of bone questions, but I'm extremely new to car wiring.

Thanks people!

does the car wiring not already have a constant 12v?
what about the cig lighter is that a constant 12v if it is run a wire from the 12v wire on the cig lighter to the radio.

if the above dont work, you will have to run a cable from the battery by connecting it with a ring terminal with a 6mm hole for the battery terminal bolt to be able to go though the ring terminal. also a fuse holder will be a good idea aswell with a 10amp fuse in it.

then you route the cable to down the passenger side untill you get to the bulkhead/ firewall, you then put a hole in one of the 2 black gommets and push some wire into the cab.

now go into the car and behind and up where the floor carpet clips on you should be able to feel the wire, pull it though being careful that you go cut the insulation on the wire when pullin it though the hole.

now route the wire out of sight to the radio, wire the radio up and then put the gommet back it place.

tools you will need are:
10mm spanner
terminal crimper
something sharp to push a hole though the gommet

Thanks for that Fordy. I haven't been able to find a constant 12v but will try the cig lighter. If that's no good I'll do as you suggest to get a line to the battery.

Welcome to the forums.

I got my constant from the fuse box. The wire going into the hazard lights fuse is constant 12v.

Cigarette socket is an accessory so isnt constant! Also, underneath the dashboard on the passenger side, there's a small hole you can push cables through into the engine bay.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

Back