K10 BIG problem!!!

R

rizy102

hiya,
have a 89 k10. running brilliantly since i bought it. neway changed the thermostat today and then went on a 10 mile motorway journey. about 7 miles in felt a little loss of power but went ok after about a minute. wen i got off the motoway i could definately feel loss of power in low revs and it felt like the car was stuttering. so i pulled over at a petrol station and opened bonnet and steam issuing from around therostat and water everywhere. so opened cap, topped up coolant and tried to start it. started but could still feel the stuttering. tried to drive of but the car stalled. after that it hasnt started. also, the car never overheated one bit and no smell of burning etc. just steam issuing from spilt water i think.
does anyone know what might have happened?
thanks

Could be the head gasket.

Have you checked the color of the oil down the refill pipe?
White smoke coming from the exhaust?

Was the water comming from the thermostat housing when you looked under the bonnet..where the stat was changed? It could be that the housing wasnt properly sealed closed after it was changed and the coolant may have boiled away/evaporated....and then with little or no coolant left the engine overheated...etc

If the head gasket has gone there may be oil in your water and water in your oil (pale brown mayonase) usualy can be found in the filler cap. Also I think a garage can test your exhaust gasses and compression ratio in order to see if the head gasket had deteriorated.

Its hard to say what the extent of the dammage is ...if any.
A repair could cost into the hundreds depending on the dammage...this might be an option for you to save a few quid.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-1...QQcmdZViewItem

If it seems ok you could top up on coolant and lubricant and see you it goes around the houses...risky though

right, no oil in water, nor any white smoke from exhaust. therostat was not properly sealed (my fault) but car did not overheat at all. also no burning smell which is usual when a headgasket goes. there was alot of water everywhere, so i thought that could it be possible that water could have found its way in the spark plugs, ht leads, coil etc?
what do you think?

bear in mind that if the car looses alot of water the thermostat would not have water near it and it would not read high, even whilst the engine was pratically melting.

While where on this subject...

My car stutters alot when i first pull away till at least a couple mins driving, is this normal for a car of its year?

rizzy, the water in the electrix sounds quite feasible to me,

If the car is NOW NOT powerless and /or stalling now then this may be the case,,,since most (if not all) of the water will have probably evaporated by now.

If it IS still giving you the big one...then show it the WD40 or similar on all of the elextrix unplug HT connections and be sure that water will be dispersed from the electrical contacts ....

I would be tempted to do a clean up job on the thermostat gasket ie fit a new thermostat housing gasket. put in new coolant, check & top op oil if necessary and see how you go...it might be worth doing the compression tests and exhaust gas analysis as sugested by the dudes in here.

Back