just a thought

Spike

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave
ive got a 5 door car right, could I de-handle and smooth the back doors, giving the passing illusion that its a 3 door, but still maintain the practicality of having the space/option there?

i have looked up various sources, and no one has a definative answer, all Haynes has stated that you must have the front passenger and driver door and boot all must have a means of opening, but nothing on the back doors.

whatcha all think?

(Y)

then it would be like a micra...Van sorta thing....good idear....but can passengers still get thro the front into the back? o_O if that makes any sence :D

no they wouldnt, unless he fit seats from a 3 door as the front seats cannot tilt forward. You could however rear your arm around and open the rear door. IMO though, if you want a 3 door car. Buy a 3 door car.

i could de-handle the rears then either have them set up on a door popper or just open it from the inside (i'm sure u can reach the handle).

lol Ian, I was expecting a comment like that but the seats im going to put in dont recline, but I want the illusion of a 3dr, but be able to carry people etc,

its also to stop people thinking my cars a taxi (as in uni its a big problem that people want to be taken places cos you've got a car) so with harness webbing in there and other bits in pieces I wanna be able to carry people if i need/want to, but not take out the rear seats.

Again as Wilsonian said, id just manually open the car from the inside if i needed to (as im hoping to put remote centeral locking on the front two doors).

I dunno if ill do it, but it would be different (Y)

I had a 3 door and had Both doors and the boot totally smoothed.. It passed an MOT no problems..

"There must be a means of opening the front doors".. I had actuaters in the doors and waterproof switches in the door mirrors..

img00797resized5qi.jpg

If you wanted to remove the doors handles at the back.. this would look very good and is a common modification on 4door saloons....

You wouldn't need to install some solonoids/acutaters as you dont need them,... but you could if you wanted..

i could put a severed duck's head on my bonnet, that would be different but it doesnt mean it looks good :p. it's your car after all though, if you like it and think it looks good. go for it.

well ill give it a go, if it looks #### then ill have to somehow rectify it, worth a crack methinks

Ian - dude thats harsh. Speaking as an ex 5dr owner I was tempted to smooth over the rears - infact both. If you do the rears, why not go all the way and have small buttons on the mirrors has kris has mentioned....

wilsonian said:
Ian - dude thats harsh. Speaking as an ex 5dr owner I was tempted to smooth over the rears - infact both. If you do the rears, why not go all the way and have small buttons on the mirrors has kris has mentioned....

haha cos I wouldnt know where to begin doing somthing like that...

Give it a go man.

At Modded UK at Detling hill this weekend (which was brilliant BTW) my m8s bro brought his 5 door montego and he's done what ur saying.

He had the 2 rears and front passenger door handles filled and smoothed over, and painted. It makes it look a lot better, he does have to open the doors from the inside though!! He's also put his boot on a popper so he's delocked that as well. It does look brilliant!!!

Ian said:
no they wouldnt, unless he fit seats from a 3 door as the front seats cannot tilt forward. You could however rear your arm around and open the rear door. IMO though, if you want a 3 door car. Buy a 3 door car.

i im gonna do that to my next car lol, i like 5 doors, but they look abit well, ####, so im gonna dehandle the rear 2 so it looks like a 3dr.

yeah i reckon once ive got the stuff at the top of my to do list done ill give that a go, anyway Ollie, hows the car looking? are the skirts going to be fitting and painted in time for Portsmouth?

I really don't understand why you'd buy a 5 door with the direct attention of making it look like a 3door?

Well it's not been tried with many cars, never mind a k11 and also it's such a pain having to get out, drag ur seat forward while some one gets in the back.

wilsonian said:

I don't believe it is. *I* think it looks stupid, im not telling him what to do with his car. he asked for opinions and its *my* opinion of it. its his car, i wouldnt tell anyone what they should do to it, but if they want an opinion, they'll get one. the world is no good full of yes-men. Sometimes you need a real opinion to bring you back down to earth.

Layla said:
easier for rear passengers to exit the car in an accident via back door than crawling through front ones.

Yes.....logical!!! How about if you had the 3 door, but removed the back seats and legally registered it as a 2 seater.....surely this should have the same affect? Or would it not coz it's a "modification"??

I really hate insurance companies!!!

I used to own a 5 door and completly understand what he means. Had a 2nd job in a bar and at the end of the shift (and having worked during day) people must have read my mind cause having a 5dr obviously meant I wanted to give lifts!

I too didn't like the 5dr look, I think smoothing just the rear handles will make it look nicer, I don't like the whole smoothed look and the risk of something going wrong with the elctrical setup of opening the doors. Poppers on the rear maybe but it's not so hard to reach back and open them.
Least this way no one unwanted can jump in and you can make your getaway!

i got a 5 door and its great! whats wrong with them?

i was gonna have all the handles removed on my car but the cost was too much for now, so i got them colour coded instead...

Back