Thought I'd say hello...

Hello all.

I've just bought this 'splendid' example of a 1.0 Shape Auto for my uncle.

2013-02-23140102_zpsdc5e5f80.jpg

He wanted a five door automatic - and they are very hard to come by!

It's going to need a few bits to put it back on the road - so doubtless I'll be hassling the group with dumb newbie questions over the next few weeks.

Out of interest, what would you say were the most common problems on elderly, high mileage K11s?

Top of the list is probably rust?... Main area of concern would be the front cross member, they rust quite badly & can be an MOT failure...

Cheers guys, It looked pretty solid underneath, but I'll know more when I jack it up at the weekend.

Yep, it's a scrapyard. The vehicle is Cat C (although the damage is very slight) so it will need a VIC before going back on the road.

Cheers guys, It looked pretty solid underneath, but I'll know more when I jack it up at the weekend.

Yep, it's a scrapyard. The vehicle is Cat C (although the damage is very slight) so it will need a VIC before going back on the road.
Please call it Helmet?

I've wanted someone to call their purple car "Helmet" for years now :(

Hello all,

Well, the K11 is finally back on the road, though it did need rather more than I had hoped...

First of all the boot floor was ruined - this was the crash damage that wrote the car off. The scrappy gas-axed one from another car for us and my Uncle (for whom I bought the car) trimmed it down and welded it in. We followed this up by giving the car a major service and giving it a thorough steam clean (the interior was filthy and the seats were black with dirt)

This should have been it - after all the car had been on the road before the accident, right? Wrong. There was a whole bunch of earthing problems - and even after these were traced the thing was an absolute so-and-so to start.

Figured the problem was with the throttle body, so I tried re-soldering the connectors in it. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with them though, so I found another auto throttle body on the 'bay. It still doesn't seem right but at least it starts and runs with no trouble now.

VIC check passed with no problems. Incidentaly discovered this car had been written off TWICE - the previous time being in 2005. Got a good one here...

The crossmember, outer sills, valance and wheelarches were all solid. However, the car had somehow rusted on both sides where the sills join the floorpan, so more MIG time for my uncle...

Emissions were also high due to that worn out throttle body and a cat on its last knockings. I'd run out of money by this stage so we ran some Techron engine cleaner through and hoped for the best. It scraped through with CO readings of .29 (limit is .30)

I've been so impressed with the little car, I've now bought one for myself!

Will post more detail and pics in the blogs section if anyone is interested?

Cheers.

Back