jap spec CG13DE question?

CMF_jamm'n

» CMF Member
Does anyone know, if any, what the differences are between the JAP/spec and UK/spec CG13DE's? I'm thinking of balancing the bottom end. And then some minor head work maybe. Before i start i want to buy another motor and do all the work, then swap ova.
Simply which is best/better?

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Does the jap have higher compression?

If I was in your situation, I'd be buying a low KM jap motor and stripping it to peices and working it. That way when its finished you can just rip out your old thrashed motor and plonk in the nice shiney one. :)

cisco

» CMF Member
UK/aussie spec engine is solid deck (stronger, but not as good for cooling), Jap spec has open deck with some ribs for strength (not as strong) but better for cooling.

They have different cast pistons, but that's neither here nor there.

Black plastic cam cover as opposed to UK/aussie alloy one.
Black cover is very tough and fine even with turbo etc.

That's about it..

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah I agree. Things built in England have always been good quality from what I've seen. Including the micra.
Hey I have some really old tool in my garage that was my grandfathers, and its stamped as "Made in England" - its some really old basic heavy set square haha. He's still alive by the way, but it was a hand me down when he had a big clean out.

Not sure, the Jap engine seems to run great, but so do the UK/aussie ones.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Sorry Matty, got your message about this but for some reason it won't let me send messages to your number? *Looks confused*

Well your questions have already been answered anyway so why bother...

Seano

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
THEORETICALLY the uk block with the closed deck is stronger therefore better for turbocharged/supercharged/high compression applications however in PRACTICE it seems there is no real worry to have as the Jap spec open block is holding up great in a number of turbocharged and worked cars.

Even if cylinder warping occurs butresses can made up which sit between the exterior bore wall and the block to support and stop the cylinders warping.

I know this is a common practice on Honda engines. In saying that though I would tend to think that the Jap spec open deck design (otherwise called a wet bore/cylinder) is far better for working as the cylidners are exposed to more coolant at any given time reducing thermal stresses substantially which is a bigger killer to engines than most people think.

Jap/Uk engine, its your choice. I know which one I would go for though...

...Black rocker cover hmmmm

cisco

» CMF Member
Its the same old story.

You go for black engine cover in Australia because its unique and your car looks cool. Everyone goes "whoa black engine mmm".

In Japan they go crazy about the chrome covers. I sent over a mate my old chrome cover and he absolutely loved it and installed it straight away.

Heh.

Back