Its just a x.x litre

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hi Guys

Im just wondering, what does the engine size 1.0 / 1.2 / 1.6 etc figure refer to? and why in some cars, a 1.0 is able to produce more power than a 1.2? and say a K10 ST (0.9L) is the same BHP as a K12 160SR (1.6L) etc.

I mean, a standard 1.0 K10 is 50bhp, but the 1.0 K11 is 54. How come this varies?

Cheers! :)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question685.htm - that answers your first question :)

As for the second bit, it's all down to the engine itself. I mean the ST has a more aggressive cam than a standard MA engine, PLUS a turbo and supercharger, hence why it gets the bhp figures it does.

With the K10 and K11 1.0s I'd suggest it's down to the K11 engine being newer and more refined (has DOHC, 16 valves, all aluminium block etc).

Engine Power = Size of the bang x the number of bangs per minute, or something like that,lol. Basically the bigger the bang (ie more fuel/air mixture in the combustion chamber) the more power, same goes with if you can get more bangs in there (more RPM)

As for the 1.0l, 1.2l etc that is the volume of the cylinders combined.

the 1.0 bit is just the bore x stroke then normally rounded up to make 1.0 eg k10 988cc is a 1.0 ,

but there are more important things than just the bore size and the stroke,

like tuning, combustion chamber size, valve sizes, cam timing and lift etc

haha, na i know a bit about how it works, such as fuel & air, combustion etc, just wasnt sure where the 1.0, 1.2 came into things!

Cheers for the replies, some useful stuff there

Back