IT USB Query

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hi guys

This is really puzzling me. I've got a USB hard drive when plugged into the computer is detected automatically and works fine, however when i try and use it with a bog standard 3 meter USB extension cable, the computer can't use it. The computer thinks it's found new hardware, when it hasn't, and then starts looking for device drivers, but none are required normally for the drive to work.

What's going on? Surely it should just work like it's plugged directly into the computer. Also, the hard drive is powered by USB if that's part of the problem? The light on the drive comes on to show it's working fine.

I work in I.T and have never come across this before using other devices & extension cables

Hi guys

This is really puzzling me. I've got a USB hard drive when plugged into the computer is detected automatically and works fine, however when i try and use it with a bog standard 3 meter USB extension cable, the computer can't use it. The computer thinks it's found new hardware, when it hasn't, and then starts looking for device drivers, but none are required normally for the drive to work.

What's going on? Surely it should just work like it's plugged directly into the computer. Also, the hard drive is powered by USB if that's part of the problem? The light on the drive comes on to show it's working fine.

I work in I.T and have never come across this before using other devices & extension cables

right i have had this problem loads, its your USB cable, it needs to have proper power wires in it.

try some different USB cables until it works

listen to the drive, does it make clicking sounds?

The cable it comes with normally is about a foot long. I've just stuck a 3 meter extension lead onto that so i can have the hard drive on my desk (the computer is on the floor). Annoying really as i just bought this extension one off Ebay and don't have others to try. The hard drive isn't making any noise, but the power light is on. It would normally be whirring away.

Rich, yeah that's basically correct :)

would think it is just a duff cable? Have you got an external power supply for the harddisk? is it a 2.5" drive>? If you are using usb power for the drive, as nex said, power wires in usb cable probably arn't up to the job.

would think it is just a duff cable? Have you got an external power supply for the harddisk? is it a 2.5" drive>? If you are using usb power for the drive, as nex said, power wires in usb cable probably arn't up to the job.

Drive is USB powered only. Annoying as the cable does seem to work with a USB compact flash card reader, optical mouse and other devices i've got, just not this hard disk!

Yeah 2.5" disk needs about 2-3 watts roughly, i.e much more than any other device you are likely to power - so that will be it, like nex said, power wires arnt up to the job. Probably not a good idea to try the cable again as its easy to break a harddisk via usb, especially if it isnt powered correctly.

Bummer!!!!!

Cheers for your help guys. Can you recommend a cable that would be up for the job? Obviously i won't be trying another cheap ebay crap one if it's going to give me the same problem.

I have a 2.5" to 3.5" ide adapter if you want to put the disk in your machine. Can't recomend any particular usb cable.

usb2 will only supply about 1.5A iirc, so the voltage drop (because of the length of cable) might be too much, whatever make of cable

my cable for my camera runs my drive, but i doubt you will get longer than a meter...

but some external drives have a port where you can plug in extra power from the mains

the other option is to have a powered hub right next to the drive,

or my old usb powered CD rom had two usb plugs on one end so you could double up the power going to the drive, you might need one of those cables

I have a 2.5" to 3.5" ide adapter if you want to put the disk in your machine. Can't recomend any particular usb cable.

i take it to work and home and all over the place. Has tonnes of music/photos/my website pages and loads of other stuff on it so i can't really put it inside my machine. Ta though.

Yeah power extension hub if they exist or something like that would be good. I've got a scanner which runs off a 20 meter usb cable, not self powered though, but i guess that's the disadvantage of having something that runs off USB power.

yer ive come across this loads at my previous works, basically it is down to power you will either need a new cable that can supply enough, or some how give it more power the cable isnt giving enough voltage, you could use a usb hub inbetween, as this would reboost signal.

It works!! I remember i bought a load of shielded ones ages ago to connect to people's keyboards & mice so they reached without being stretched. I just swapped the two leads over and now it's working fine! The shielded lead is a meter shorter so just about reaches... so if you're in the same boat, try those instead :)

arnold

you can get a lead with a piggy-back lead that you plug into 2 usb ports (to double the amperage)

Excellent, didn't know they existed either but that's something worth remembering.

Thanks for the help guys!

Back