Is this common?

test drove a 1.3 cg13 70,000 nissan micra yesterday and every now and again it had trouble going into gear it might just be my driving but first was the biggest problem it went into gear but it seemed like the gear stick didnt go far enough forward

many people who drive my car have struggled yet i havent (tends to be the people who drive newer cars) i do sometimes have this problem with reverse though but only when the engine etc is cold.......

many people who drive my car have struggled yet i havent (tends to be the people who drive newer cars) i do sometimes have this problem with reverse though but only when the engine etc is cold.......

same here stani...ye only when its cold

maybe your oil is too thick stani ? some members have said theirs were stiff after a g/box oilchange ( mine has engine oil in lol)

really? :) ive never changed it yet o_O
yeh, haynes says 80W, but thats damn thick for a modern g/box imo, bear in mind all the millions of austin mini,s etc that were designed where the g/box doubled as an engine sump, and they ran ok on dirty engine oil

I have that problem too, only when cold.

And even on the SuperS with 15W40 engine oil in the gearbox it happens... :eek:

I have similar experiences with my Micra, now that I think about it. I've gotten used to it now and the gears just come more naturally to me, but when I first got it I hated the gearbox with a passion. My old 1.0L seemed to have really sharp, precise and short throw gears. But my 1.3 SR is quite vague and wobbly, particular first and third. I'd say it's a bit of a trait to the 1.3 looking at the replies in this thread, but I'm sure you'll get used to it quick enough.

Yes, all 1.3's here (one has 1.0 facelift gearbox, which is a 1.3 gearbox anyway, just shorter ratios).

Maybe you have a loose gear linkage (worn out bushes).

i've always had problems with slowly engaging 1st gear only after coming from 3/4/5th prob due to either misaligned worn bushes or the 1st gear engaging teeths prob worn.
harder when cold due to thicker oil.
would end u having to try select 1st and maintain pressure, a sec later it slots in.
selecting 2nd before 1st helps align it better.
when stationary after selecting 1st gear once, i could then select any other gear then back to 1st freely.
tis as though once the cogs move when i'm not in 1st, the 1st gear syncro becomes misaligned and also has bad synchro engaging teeths?

hmm just thought, everytime i change gear oil the plug has a tiny tip piece of cog teeth, maybe thats off the 1st gear synchro teeth?
it never crunches during normal gearchanges

I did have this problem when it was a 1 litre but always drove ok just from time to time it would stick. Then i put 40bhp through it and the bearings gave up very quickly after that and since new bearings went in its been fine. So i just figured the bearings in some boxes may be a little iffy.

you can really put engine oil in a box frank? didnt know that
pretty much all Hondas use engine oil in gear boxes! I'd personally not be comfortable putting regular oil in a gearbox that's designed to use Extreme pressure (EP) oil though

pretty much all Hondas use engine oil in gear boxes! I'd personally not be comfortable putting regular oil in a gearbox that's designed to use Extreme pressure (EP) oil though

me neither...suppose is ok for some one like frank that can swap a box over blind folded with one arm tied behind his back :p

Yes, Honda gearbox oil has the same grade as normal engine oil, but dont know its properties, must have something else...

if you,re munching gears like dave bull (or maybe polly ?) then shear strength or EP properties are probably critical, but it seems to be the bearings that eventually fail with members (where shear strength etc dont factor imo)

thanks for all the info guys! i have come from a mx5 and a vw lupo so quite a variety of types of engine / gearboxs will have to test drive a few more micras

Back