is there any power to be gained ?

CMF_dave jones

» CMF Member
i have a 1999 1.0 litre with power steering, would i gain any power by converting it back to normal steering (geting rid of the pump) ?

i have also thought of getting rid of the power steering pump and putting a supercharger in its place

has it ever being done ?

any idea's anyone ?

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
hi dave

i doubt the p/s takes much power while straight (100w ?) and probably less than 1hp on full lock
the p/s models probably have a quicker rack, so would be heavier than a non p/s
what s/c have you in mind ?

frank

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
Consider yourself lucky to have power steering. Alot of us in Australia have to chase down one from the wreckers. The weight penalty and small power loss are worth it for the decreased turns to lock.

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
yeh definately keep the powersteering.

i was thinking of in a way turning an old turbo into a supercharger just by modifying the turbo with a longer spindle that has a wheel on the end for a drive belt. the belt would turn the turbo which would never have to spool up (abit like anti-lag) and almost be no need for an intercooler because the air doesnt have to go through a hot turbo as there is no exhaust to heat it.

just an idea... can anyone tell me if it would they think it would be worthwhile trying. or would the drive belt not spin the turbo fast enough to create boost?

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Last time I looked there wasn't much space around the power steer pump & plumbing would be a nightmare.
It would be possible to put a small modern alternator in place of the power steer pump and then locate the supercharger where the alternator is normally located.
I think an SC12 from a 4A-GZE has been tried, although I may be getting confused. I don't know what the availability of these is like where you're from but you might find an SC14 from a 1G-GZE is the same price. The SC12 has a capacity of about 1200cc, the SC14 has a capacity of about 1400cc. The SC14 is basically the same as the SC12 except a bit longer.

Many car manufacturers have been switching from Hydraulic Power steering (like the K11) to electric power steering in recent years.
They all make claims of the electric systems being more efficient. Numbers like 3-4-5 percent improvement in fuel efficiency are not unusual.
Ford quotes 8 percent for the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner small sport utility vehicles.
I would have expected at least 2% for the K11.

I've had the intention of removing my power steering, the only thing stopping me has been thoughts of selling the car & buying another with a body in better condition. Anyway, I had intended leaving the power steer rack, draining of all fluid & removing pump & lines & connecting the hydraulic connections to the rack together (with 99% air being pushed back & forth) & plugging the ports on the column. I've got the idler pulley from the non power steer version.

When I was at university I was driving 50,000km per year. If it was doing that today it'd be about $5000 in petrol. 2% of $5000 is $100 per year.

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
these cars with eletric power steering are nightmares ive had no end of trouble at work solenoids burning out,delayed response its just another thing to go wrong and exspensive believe me.ill stick with no p/s like mine is carent really go wrong no leaks no eletric problems job sorted

Back