Is it possible to retrofit power steering?

As per the title.

Mum has an early K11 1.0 (1993) with no power steering. She's had it about 5 years and it's been a great car.

She manages fine with it, but i think power steering would make it a bit better for her.

I'll probably just buy her a new car now, but just wondered if retrofitting power steering would be a viable option, as the car itself is great and it would be a shame to just sell it because it doesn't have p/s.

Has anyone ever done this to their k11? If so, how easy a mod was it and what bits would i need?

Cheers.

I can/has been done.

AFAIK you need power steering pump, fluid resivoir, hoses, an additional drivebelt and also the power steering rack.

Bear in mind that the pump will be a ###### to fit as it is right at the back+ bottom of the engine.

Also, I have a PAS pump + bracket than I need rid of if you're interested ;)

Craig

P.S. I am not sure whether or not you will need any electronics relays etc. My instinct says yes as you always need electonic stuff, but I am sur that someone more knowlegeable will be able to confirm.

I am just trying to remember when I pulled the engine apart, but I think no as it uses the same drivebelt as the water pump.

I will have a look at all the bits I have as I seem to remember an additional pulley on the crank. The only picture that I have of the engine is no help, although I am fairly sure that I only threw 2 belts into the bin...

Craig

You are probably right craig. Thinking about it, you have two pulleys on the crank (1 for alternator, 2 for water pump and power steering)

You only need the third pulley on the crank for Air Con.

I'd have a look at the SR20 if it wasn't dark, as this is probably the same set up as the CG series

Didn't Nex do this?
Or maybe took it off..

Either way, he'd know what you need.

yep i fitted pas :D its fairly easy but i did it at the same time as changing my engine. getting the rack out of the car with the engine still in place will pretty much be impossible, as i tried this when i got the rack from the scrappy.

the pullies are the same as i changed that too, and i think the belt is the same too but i would double check that.

as for the electrics, if you have a car that is NOT the L model then it already has all the wiring you will need (you will find it taped up by the driver's side strut)

the pump is a bit of a ##### to fit, but not that bad, and if you are attaching the high pressure pipe then start at the bottom on the rack.

if you are taking PAS off a car in the scrappy then don't forget you will need a different C/V joint, so get that bit too.

also don't forget that if you are changing the rack then its best to get the tracking sorted too.

yep i fitted pas :D its fairly easy but i did it at the same time as changing my engine. getting the rack out of the car with the engine still in place will pretty much be impossible, as i tried this when i got the rack from the scrappy.

the pullies are the same as i changed that too, and i think the belt is the same too but i would double check that.

as for the electrics, if you have a car that is NOT the L model then it already has all the wiring you will need (you will find it taped up by the driver's side strut)

the pump is a bit of a ##### to fit, but not that bad, and if you are attaching the high pressure pipe then start at the bottom on the rack.

if you are taking PAS off a car in the scrappy then don't forget you will need a different C/V joint, so get that bit too.

also don't forget that if you are changing the rack then its best to get the tracking sorted too.
Hello... hope you're well.
I just got my first Micra... and I'm really happy with it.... but it doesn't have power steering.
I'd like to change that... but I'm NOT going to have access to a ramp... and I REALLY don't want to have to take the engine out ? seriously though.
Could you please tell me... do I need to be looking for a pas rack from the same year... for easier fitting... or a particular year ?
Does engine size and model affect which rack I look for etc.
I'd really appreciate your advice as you seem to be somebody who's name gets a mention more than once when it comes to this.
Thanks
Daniel

Back