Is my sister being ripped off?

She owns a 2004 micra which is broken down. The engine stalled whilst going along (she managed to re-start) then it wouldn't start the next day. The AA towed her to her nissan dealer where she bought the car and where she has had it serviced each year.

They asked for £300 up front to "remove the gearbox" (first explanation) followed by "it's to strip the engine down" (second explanation) without telling her what they were looking for and what they thought might be wrong. She and I suspected timing belt having seen posts on this...

Then this morning they told her that it was the air conditioning compressor. It would cost £1700!! She told them to just disconnect it - she'd manage without aircon but they say that the engine can't run without the aircon compressor working.

A salvaged compressor can be easily obtained for £100 + VAT - but are they using that as an explanation to shut her up if it is a timing belt issue?

I'd be grateful for a view - are they having a laugh or does any of that make sense?

thanks in anticipation....

Simon

but if you remove the ac the belt wont have anywhere to go right and if the compressor has seized it will strain it all and cause the engine to stall

The aircon has a clutch fitted to the front which is turned off and on electrically.

A failed bearing or compressor should not make any difference to the belt unless the air con is switched on.

To make sure they could disconnect the air con switch in the cab to avoid it being turned on accidentally.

Many thanks

Guys - your advice allowed me to negotiate an acceptable way forward with the garage - they still maintained that the car wouldn't run without the aircon but at least we got an agreed way forward.

Many thanks all

Simon

Back