is it safe to remove panhard rod?

CMF_Akinari

» CMF Member
hi guys just wana ask..

ive seen a few drag cars with rear bumpers removed and spare tire well also removed.. but one time i saw one striped to the bone car with panhard rod removed.. just want to ask.. is it safe to drive around? or he did something else to counter the lateral force?

because i was planning to remove my spare tire well but found out that the panhard rod was mounted to it..

hoping for replies

thanks in advance

aki

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
well, i wouldn't drive round corners at speed without laterally supporting the axle beam to the chassis. the back end would just wobble all over. in extreme cases it would be a wild pig to handle, wheel alignment would be unpredictable, the shocks and wheels could hit n damage the chassis and the springs could pop out.

if the cars going absolutely straight at speed with no sidewinds, no tyre blowout, no obsticals etc then maybe its ok but alignment and stability would still be dodgy.

but for safety sake i'd highly advise not to remove the panhard rod.

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
i think were forgetting the fact that drag racers dont need to go around corners :p

so if you plan to go stright all the time i cant see a reasion why you need it... haha.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"works every time :p, unless you get pulled over and asked to show your spare tyre lol..

It may depend on what the car came with from factory (seeing as some newer cars do have the repair kits in place of the spare) but I'd say whatever flat-tyre solution your car came with, that's what must be in the car. They couldn't say to someone with a brand new car using with a repair kit that they have to purchase a spare tyre 'cause they didn't have one :p

---dens

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
I was pulled over for a random check and they wanted to check my spare tyre, So for that reason alone if your planning to drive regularly on the street leave they panhard and spare tyre/well where it is.

CMF_slugman42

» CMF Member
WTF !
I have never been pulled up & had the police check my spare tyre !
What sort of retarded coppers do they have in Queensland ?
As for the Panhard rod question ....it would handle like a bag of **** & would be EXTREMLY dangerous at high speed ! (move your left nut to far.....big death wobbles & over she goes ! )
I you really wanted to get rid of the spare tyre well, I am sure some sort of an alternative mount would be well advised
Just my opinion but there it is !

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Sorry, They checked everything! Wipers, water sprayers, indicaters, brake lights, spare tyre, tyre tread, and that everything was secure under the bonnet (i.e air pod)

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
They cant defect or book you for no spare tyre surely. That is gay. Some times i love being in Darwin. The cops are really good here. You can do anything to your cars pretty much with out it having to be mod plated.

The pods down south i believe are a defect if they are not in a sealed box etc. Up here as long as they dont wobble around its all good

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
sikK11 WROTE:

"They cant defect or book you for no spare tyre surely. That is gay. Some times i love being in Darwin. The cops are really good here. You can do anything to your cars pretty much with out it having to be mod plated. <BR><BR>The pods down south i believe are a defect if they are not in a sealed box etc. Up here as long as they dont wobble around its all good<BR>

Yeh they are legal if they are in a box but if they are not in a box, defect straight away, Sydneys s**t!!

deNs WROTE:

"turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:<BR><BR>"works every time :p, unless you get pulled over and asked to show your spare tyre lol.."</DIV><BR><BR>It may depend on what the car came with from factory (seeing as some newer cars do have the repair kits in place of the spare) but I'd say whatever flat-tyre solution your car came with, that's what must be in the car. They couldn't say to someone with a brand new car using with a repair kit that they have to purchase a spare tyre 'cause they didn't have one :p<BR><BR>---dens<BR><BR>

ya reckon? dah. lol... i don't have a spare tyre in my blue car.. been meaning to put one back in and make some fully hectic sub enclosure so i can have some kinda boot space.. doof doof

Mickeybbb WROTE:

"take the good with the bad i guess sikK11, which would u rather.. defect for simple ****/live in a ****hole.. =)<BR>only joking bro

lol

CMF_MacGillaZ

» CMF Member
Spare tyre IF in the car MUST be in a roadworthy condition.

You do NOT have to carry a spare tyre for the car to be in Road Worthy Condition, which is afterall what the whole defect and checks the boys/girls come sale time are meant to be doing!

If you have a spare (like, say dens old one :p) that's not legal, then that's a whole different kettle of fish, because they can say one of your tyres is un-roadworthy!

The whole idea of them checking over your car is to make sure it's in a safe state to be driven, but that depends on which state you are driving in...

cisco

» CMF Member
The spare tyres are not attached to the panhard rods!?!?!

DO NOT remove your panhard rod. It was put there so your car doesn't fk up and you don't die. The rear end will sway all over the place and you might break loose a trailing arm.

This site is going to the pack! :)
Where are the hardcore knowledgeable enthusiasts hehe.
Honestly, what a lame thread.

CMF_slugman42

» CMF Member
Sorry Cisco
We are not worthy !
By the way I got defected once for having a half inch hole in the body of my standard aircleaner !
If the cops want you they will get you for the most trivial infraction
sometimes its best just to shut up & cop it sweet.
I have got a mate who is ex highway patrol & if you are a smart arse ( like me ) they can defect you for not having vitually anything (missing mud flap etc )if it was standard equipment!
He once booked a guy ( arabic extraction ) for "Drive with insufficient intellegence "( non existant infringment ) & the goose paid the fine !
Cisco is right .....what was the question about the Panhard rod again ....LOL

Back