IS "dibs" a problem for people

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
As per the "problem" in the buy/sell section about people calling dibs on items for themselves or other people.

What do sellers and buyers think?

I think dibs is fine as it allows a seller to see who is interested and who gets priority. Whther didbs is said or not, the post is what counts, dibs just became the easiset thing to put.

Maybe a seller should state how they want people to request, whether it's first posted or highest bidder.

As for people posting for others, don't see a problem, people are simply looking out for their friends, so if dibs is called second then that person is happy

sorry but i think its gotta be a case of committing to buy or shut up, obviously saying your intrested is fine but not "dibs.. ill buy next year"

I don't see a problem with it.

EG i've dibbed some side skirts - i'll be paying for them at the end of the month - if for any reason i fail to pay (yeah right! ) ben was placed a 2nd dib on them - thus the seller knows he/she has a sale by the end of the month :D

I know it can be a bit "hmmm" if eg ben has the money and i don't but i really think if it's not a problem with the seller then it's ok.

i dont c a problem with it all :) its all up to the seller.

I see no problem with it at all if its what the seller wants. If your selling something, you have the right to sell it to whoever you want to, at whatever price you wish. If the seller specifies "no dibs, just higest bidder" then that should apply too, but I know most people won't do that.....

I don't see a problem with how pauls worked it, if the seller wanted sold straight away then it'd probably go to the second dibber.

"dibs" or a simple post makes a list of people who are willing to buy

wilsonian said:
I don't see a problem with it.

EG i've dibbed some side skirts - i'll be paying for them at the end of the month - if for any reason i fail to pay (yeah right! ) ben was placed a 2nd dib on them - thus the seller knows he/she has a sale by the end of the month :D

I know it can be a bit "hmmm" if eg ben has the money and i don't but i really think if it's not a problem with the seller then it's ok.

Is this thread really necessary?

Dibbing for yourself and on behalf of someone else are two different things. You know what your intentions are or what the financial situation is if you are dibbing for yourself. The reason i said in the other thread that dibs isnt really allowed is because of time wasting & the problems which arose from it, when dibbing on someone's behalf. We've seen from previous sales that it just doesnt work & only used to cause problems, which is why the use of it has been discouraged! Buy & sell has worked fine for a year or so now and the first thread to have it in, causes problems.

Anyway, its up to the seller what they want to do! The more interest the better, but if its a quick sale they're after - they obviously have the right to just forget about anyone dibbing for someone else and just go for the quickest and easiest sale.

I really dont see why you'd need to dib on something if you are buying it for yourself. Just say you want to buy it and it'l be yours im sure! If the seller is after the highest price, just stick it on ebay and it'l save a lot of problems!

I see no problem with dibsing, is that a real word ? but there are people who dont sit on MSC all day to catch new stuff coming up, I think a better way of doing it would be to invite bids either by PM or open forum, that way people who arent there when the item is posted for sale has a chance.

Thread was started to stop the spamming of gemma's thread.

I wanted to see if it was a problem.
There's no real way to manage peoples buying and selling, sellers should state if it was first come first serve (dibs) or highest bidder though

Ian dibbing for manda is ok, or me for wilsonian, maybe not ian dibbing for daz unless they have a more personal connection, am sure most peolple would only dib for a personal friend. I know kristina is after clear lights so i would have dibbed for him, told him and left it to him to contact buyer

Arnold are on crack? Dibs does work - i bought those lights off mean micra that way - because gary was kind enough to put a dib in for me...

You may of had trouble with this but my first post was explaining my latest experience in "dibs" and it works. So to answer your question Yes there is a need for this thread as people don't get it.

End of the day it's the seller choice not the MSC's......

goldstar0011 said:
sellers should state if it was first come first serve (dibs) or highest bidder though

Well of course, thats just common sense.

wilsonian said:
Arnold are on crack?

Eh?

If it worked for you then great, but like i said, there was a huge problem with people dibbing for other people ALOT and it just got out of hand. Alot of sellers and buyers just felt like there time was being wasted by people who 'think there mate might be interested' etc, when it turns out they arent.

End of the day it's the seller choice not the MSC's......

Not forgetting which forum you are on when it comes to buying and selling items. The MSC operates no differently to any other online trading environment. How would you like it if you sold 30 items on ebay and nobody paid! We're just trying to encourage a easier and better way to trade on here instead of having disatisfied sellers and difficult transactions!

Maybe the RUles thread needs to be updated saying a seller HAS to mention how to be contacted, dibs, pm, email etc etc

This is my point, Goldstar if you dibbed an item, i would accept that, but if wilsonian said, hey Goldstar wants one of those i think, i'll let you know tonight, that just takes the mickey mouse...

No offence to you too guys, you where just the two first names in the thread.

I know what you mean, but as most know me and paul are personal friends so know what each others plans are so that can't be as bad me dibbing for manda or ian cause I think one of them wanted something

Not forgetting which forum you are on

And i thought this was the saxo sport club - dam!

I'm sure there was a disclaimer on the buy and sell section that said the MSC can't be held responsible for any sales made via the forums - can't find it now... oh well.

wilsonian said:
And i thought this was the saxo sport club - dam!

That doesnt surprise me

wilsonian said:
I'm sure there was a disclaimer on the buy and sell section that said the MSC can't be held responsible for any sales made via the forums - can't find it now... oh well.

The MSC isnt, as it isnt funded by the sales of your items on here - doesnt mean we want to make things difficult for you guys!

Also, sellers wouldnt have to state what kind of sale it would be if you guys hadnt written off the new buy and sell section so quickly - that was built into the new one & made it 500 times easier to specifiy the type of sale and complete payments.

I did think about thattoo, but it was just too much really.

Personally, i think curreent methods work but sellers need to state if dibs is ok but as with me, it's been happening for some time its normal as for most

goldstar0011 said:
Personally, i think curreent methods work but sellers need to state if dibs is ok but as with me, it's been happening for some time its normal as for most

Well im happy with that, how it is seems to work fine. I just dont want to see the days when people were dibbing on other peoples behalf for everything! I guess on occasion its fine, especially if you 'know' that they'l be interested - its only when they arent, time is wasted etc

Well, if I was selling and someone dibbed for someone else but that person had no interest, then that person dibbed again for his mate and again fell through I'd report it.

That person could then be banned from dibbing for others.

Is it possible to have an extra field like subject but where seller HAS to state selling term and conditions or an option box to state if dibs allowed or highest bidder.

goldstar0011 said:
but sellers need to state if dibs is ok
Agreed, it should be stated by the seller wether dibs are allowed or not, but I don't think dibsing for other people is fair really imo, it takes the chance away from other people who might want to buy an item but can't sit at the computer all day waiting for it to come up.

That is true about those not being able to get on computer but for example pauls a mate i'd go as far as ringing him, getting his login and posting for him, he can change password after.

But thats no different to ebay, auctions finishies when someone can't be there so I'd bid for paul

pauls a mate i'd go as far as

Shhhh you said u wouldn't tell anyone!!

Back on topic. end of the day its the sellers choice which if the MSC thinks it's a problem should just stick a disclaimer saying if u sell some thing on a dib style system MSC will not force people to carry out the purchase.

When I sell, I tend to sell to the first person who can give me the cash, and I tend to sell to people who can collect rather than posting.

yeah tbh the current method works. but people who put dibs should be sure they want the item! :p

if im honest i dont actually care in the slightest i only posted earlier becuase i was REALLY bored at work :(!

i thought it was simple.
advertise your item.
people contact you
if yoy dont like them dont sell to them
if you want to sell to them ,get the money
and if somone says "dibs" say i want a deposit or i will sell to somone with cash

thats how it works everywhere and it should work like that here

RIK said:
i thought it was simple.
advertise your item.
people contact you
if yoy dont like them dont sell to them
if you want to sell to them ,get the money
and if somone says "dibs" say i want a deposit or i will sell to somone with cash

thats how it works everywhere and it should work like that here

Totally agree 100% that's the best post I've ever seen you make ;)

rik is right, also dibs can work but has to have one main rule that is stuck to by all members which is no dibing for other people even for ems and arnold or ian and amanda, this will let everyone have a fair chance to buy it

so is it wrong i am keeping my item for some1 without a deposit, i have provisionally sold my item to antony_aiken tho no payment til next month wen he is paid, i believe in human nature, giving wat i have to support another until they can stand alone n repay there debt. so its personal preference to me wat happens in the buy/sell forum.

stephen

K11SS said:
so is it wrong i am keeping my item for some1 without a deposit, i have provisionally sold my item to antony_aiken tho no payment til next month wen he is paid, i believe in human nature, giving wat i have to support another until they can stand alone n repay there debt. so its personal preference to me wat happens in the buy/sell forum.

stephen

no you dont HAVE to..but it stops time wasters.and there are loads on this forum

RIK said:
no you dont HAVE to..but it stops time wasters.and there are loads on this forum

i tottaly agree rik... i used to be 1 :( but i am not so bad now i have money to spend n dont want anything -lol

stephen

i have wanted lights for a while, gemma is a friend, ian is my boyfriend, he dibbed what he knew for a fact i wanted from my friend. am i failing to see the problem in this situation or is it another excuse to get our pathetic sticks out and start beating each other with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back