For people who regularly use Royal mail!

I recently read this in a car magazine...

From Popular practical classics, October 2010, Page 130...

' We sent £1200 worth of ECU back to the factory for some modifications and Royal mail failed to deliver it. A week after we posted it, in a clearly labeled, secure parcel with a return address we rang them. They managed to trace it to the sorting office near the intended delivery address. But they couldn't say what happened to it after that!

We know it was then sent to a warehouse in Belfast, where ity was auctioned off by a firm called 'Wellers'. They sold it to a Leeds based guy who trades on ebay as 'longlivethehoff' (I checked, he has changed it now but his stuff still comes up if you search that name) He stuck the ECU on ebay where Omex, the company who made it for us spotted it. They contacted him but he refused to return it as he had bought it legitimatly. We contacted Royal mail, eBay and the Police, none of whom were interested.

Royal mail even denied that they sell other peoples goods at first, presumably because the person in the press office found the idea as unbelievable as we do. But when she checked she discovered it was true.

We emailed the seller (longlivethehoff) and asked him to confirm he would not send our £1200 ECU back, we were ignored, twice.He knows where the stuff is coming from.
It seems that Royal mail are allowed to sell off our things if they fail to deliver which begs the question, what incentive do they have to deliver stuff in the first place when they can make more selling non delivered items off?'

Food for thought?!

sure "Long live the hoff" isnt K Kustom,

sounds like his style of business...

Bad luck mate, stuff like this sucks big time.

why dont you insure thing worth that much? I know that is not the case, but if it was insured I bet it wouldn't get "lost"

because you should be able to post something out and not have it stolen. the fact that royal mail sells other people's stuff is actually against the law, it is not their property and never was, other people paid them to deliver it and they didn't. i don't trust royal mail, they have lost so much of my stuff, and i know for a fact that they do just simply put stuff in their pockets if it is nice enough. had a HP ipaq PDA just cut out of the package and pocketed and then they had the cheek to send the empty package to me...

you are absolutely right and thats why i said. "that is not the case" i got my things lost and if i can i use courier, not parcel force though, but other then that i always insure it.

If you have lost so much stuff why don't you send things special delivery? You can insure the item up to 5k and it's there premium product tracked all the way it's the only royal mail service with any real security. Do you have full return address details on the packages because they are only sent to Belfast when no return address can be found.

As for staff stealing items most items people think are stolen are actually lost due to insufficient packaging and some are caught in machines, you will get an eliment of thieving but no more than any other firm and criminal record checks are done regularly on staff.

I agree selling the item is not right though.

well first of all special delivery should be when you really have to get something somewhere, you shouldn't feel pushed into having to pay extra because the normal service is not reliable enough.

secondly its often people sending me stuff as well, usually on ebay.

when i send something they are very well packed, come with full return address etc, but that doesn't always help, if it goes missing then thats it, its gone and all they do is get me to fill in forms at the post office which then go nowhere.

agreed that theft is just one of those things, but it seems to me that royal mail either pay their staff too little (making some people more likely to steal or find other ways to make money at the same time) or they hire people who cant get any other job because of things like theft etc.

i saw a documentery about royal mail and lost packets, they said that they have a big room with all the lost packets in, and there is extremely high security in there, constant CCTV etc and it is the only place where the staff are actually allowed to open packets to try and find their owners. so it seems weird that if they claim that their customer's privicy is so important, and opening the packets is so high security, that they can then just sell the packages on. at least i would have thought that the money would go to something else like charities or something like that, to stop the post office just selling packages to make more money.

If you have lost so much stuff why don't you send things special delivery? You can insure the item up to 5k and it's there premium product tracked all the way it's the only royal mail service with any real security. Do you have full return address details on the packages because they are only sent to Belfast when no return address can be found.

As for staff stealing items most items people think are stolen are actually lost due to insufficient packaging and some are caught in machines, you will get an eliment of thieving but no more than any other firm and criminal record checks are done regularly on staff.

I agree selling the item is not right though.

I've lost quite a few things through Royal Mail and Parcel Force. I send absolutly everything recorded now, or with a different courier. I've even had cases where the postman has signed for recorded items and left them on my doorstep! Well out of order.

I've lost quite a few things through Royal Mail and Parcel Force. I send absolutly everything recorded now, or with a different courier. I've even had cases where the postman has signed for recorded items and left them on my doorstep! Well out of order.

Im doing the same now. Im using http://www.parcel2go.com/ almost for everything now.
I got once laptop for my mum and it was left on doorstep.

mate i work for royal mail if something doesnt get delivered it gets returned, if it doesnt have return address on it, it is opened by a secure team in an undisclosed location to try to discover who sent it if there is nothing there then it will be stored for a 3 week period to see if someone claims it after that it goes off to dead mail, which is where i dont know what they do with it i presume it is incinerated to protect privacy , but dont know.
the actual reality is rmg is the biggest delivery service in the uk, so they are most likely to get a bad name as they practically deliver everything, most companies like parcel to go sub contract to royal mail, as do tnt city post uk mail dhl etc. You have to look at the bigger picture its about scale if dhl lose 1 parcel but only have 100 and royal mail lose 2 parcels out of 1000 whos the worse handler? also all the companies offering cheaper rates, where do you think they are making the savings? in security of your package and integrity of the better paid and looked after workers that have full background checks before being considered for the job.
also royal mail reccomends recording your delivery not to ensure they dont lose it, its because once something you've sold has been delivered if its not signed for the person/company recieving it can turn around and say they never recieved it must have got lost in the post. thats how the bad name happens
things do get lost but nowhere near as bad as its being made out! at our/every office we have a delivery % sheet showing how many complains of missing parcels weve had, its been 100% delivered for the last 9 months ive been there.(Y)

Back