Input needed

Hello all
I could do with some opinions/ expert knowledge.
Today our beloved 1998 1.3 CVT automatic with just under 60,000 miles on it did something odd.
We'd driven about 10 miles with no problems & parked up, were away for around an hour & when we came to reverse out of the parking space the car wouldn't go, it just revved. I put it in neutral then reverse again, tried again but nothing it just revved & the N-CVT red light came on. I switched the car off, switched it back on again, then no problem we reversed out ok, no sign of the warning lamp & drove home 10 miles without any issue. I've since switched it off & reversed it etc all with no problems & no sign of the waning lamp. The N-CVT light has never come on before today.
I will put it into a garage anyway to be checked but, do any of you have any input as to what it could be? Could it just be a glitch & nothing major? If I have half an idea what it might possibly be it would handy ;)
We're rather worried as we love the little car:(
Any input would be gratefully received.
Many thanks

Cheers for that, it's appreciated :)
How long roughly do the brushes last? It's done almost 60k & they've never been changed.
If it is the brushes is it a big job :eek:?
Many thanks

Cheers for that, it's appreciated :)
How long roughly do the brushes last? It's done almost 60k & they've never been changed.
If it is the brushes is it a big job :eek:?
Many thanks
Go on the search function for info on fitting them ...Andy 7055 fitted them about a year back.
Pretty easy job from memory of his thread.

The AA here in New Zealand wrote a report on Nissans CVT transmissions. The report originated because there were a condiderable number of local people driving imported mid-1990's JDM Nissans with this relatively new transmission type that were giving trouble in all kinds of ways, but could be described as being unable to function as they were supposed to. Repairs were expensive and so not viable because they exceeded the prices paid for the car.
The AA sugested that a manual stick shift conversion was a less expensive alternitive to fixing the CVT.
Now a days, and with several years of additional development, more modern CVT's are apparently more reliable.
Repair garages have considerably more experience with CVT's since the mid-90's and can probably more quickly identify the likely cause of the fault and fix this for you.
I'm guessing the your car is a local/English assembled car and its CVT, while being from the era I've just commented on, could well be fitted with a more reliable CVT than JDM used imports found in my country.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Last edited:
Someone posted on here a while back that they had their box repaired at a good price.
Apparently it consists of two highly polished discs and some special type of magnetic oil/powder, they start to show up faulty when the discs become scratched through lack of maintenance.
His was repaired by polishing the discs again ....about £80 iirc.

Hello all
I put the car in the garage (it's a Nissan main dealer, I've used them for years & they seem decent enough).
I asked them to check the transmission brushes, fluid & also check a stain that's also appeared underneath the engine.
They came back & said "removed & tested carbon brush Unit - ok, consult check said previous fault with clutch. Problem intermittent therefore unable to pin-point fault. Fault is likely to be either CVT clutch unit (flywheel) or CVT ECU".
They're reckoning on £1500 + to fix it :(
The thing is the car is also getting very rusty - sills, crossmember (that's absolutely shot at) & even back axle tube are looking ropey.
It looks like it's the end of the road for old Muji :(:(

Back