inner tie rods

hi everyone

i went for wheel alignment yesterday but was told need the inner tie rods need replaced due to rust and the threads being gubbed, then i can get the alignment done

ive checked ebay and the parsts are £15 for the rods, so i phoned a mechanic cos mines on holiday for a month! and he says you need to replace the whole steering rack and both rods will be replaced aswell - quoted me £100 for labour then parts on top?

to me i though tie rods can be done on theire on for each side? can any1 guide me in the right direction

thanks Zehn

SR the big ass avitar makes it feel like i'm reading a really narrow band of text down the right hand side, couldn't you re-size?
You need to pull the gaiters back and look at the ball joint. If it's round body then you can't get replacements except off another rack (easier to replace whole rack unless yours is a super s), if it's square and has a locking tab then you can replace just tie rod. Can be done without taking rack off car too.
There is also a sealed type rack that cannot have the joints replaced at all, but I never seen one...

image.jpg

So this is my type any ideas? I have more pictures as well if need be

Much appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 258
Just watched a cpl vids on YouTube n realised this picture tell nothing at all so sorry for that lol, have to take that gaitor of fully to see i thot it was only needed to be pushed up to see

Just watched a cpl vids on YouTube n realised this picture tell nothing at all so sorry for that lol, have to take that gaitor of fully to see i thot it was only needed to be pushed up to see
The fact that you worked this out for yourself and didn't sit idley waiting for us to spoon feed you gives you a +1 from me good sir.

If i had the tools mate i would have found out if i can get away with jus the inner rod or if i do need a new rack, quite frustrating i need to wait till next week for my mechanic

My next project myt be building a ramp in my driveway lol

I know for sure i need the track rod end and inner tie rods wether i need the rack aswell ill find out

If i had the tools mate i would have found out if i can get away with jus the inner rod or if i do need a new rack, quite frustrating i need to wait till next week for my mechanic

My next project myt be building a ramp in my driveway lol

I know for sure i need the track rod end and inner tie rods wether i need the rack aswell ill find out
Check my blog Joan the Super S, this was covered there in some detail as I had same failure on my MOT, very recently too. Plenty of pics there :)

still not seen my mechanic he said come ine 2moz after work but hes so unreliable in regards to time keeping , i said to him last week i need you to look at the car so keep the ramp free at 4pm he said yeh klkl defo will i go there n hes busy fair enuf so i left my car from friday to saturday evening and he still didnt check it.

azzydot im in glasgow wherebouts r u ?

bought track rod ends for both parts cos atleast i know they can be replaced n tbh they need replaced ( no point replacing on part and not the other)

Buy yourself a socket set, a jack and some axle stands, it takes about an hour to get rack out, hour to get new one in. Half the time if you're just replacing tie rods. Same cost as a garage, but you have a car AND a socket set, jack and axle stands at the end of it.

Got a socket set , got a hydrolic jack kikin about sumwhere jus need the axle stands, guess the only real reason i dnt do it myself is time n i think confidence incase i mess it up n i drive down the road end up in a ditch lol

Been quoted £60 labour for inner tie rods and track rod ends which isnt to bad i think

Got a socket set , got a hydrolic jack kikin about sumwhere jus need the axle stands, guess the only real reason i dnt do it myself is time n i think confidence incase i mess it up n i drive down the road end up in a ditch lol

Been quoted £60 labour for inner tie rods and track rod ends which isnt to bad i think
That's good start and I know what u mean its time, well my price for labour is 30 pounds

Claiming to have done a micra turbo build... then coming here asking how to build turbo micra. Tells us either you didnt build the turbo engine or you suffer from memory loss.. no offence.
Back on topic... a turbo build has nothing to do with a steering rack... which can endanger a persons life if done wrong. I take customer safety extremely seriously in my workshop so forgive if I'm a tad short with you ;)

Claiming to have done a micra turbo build... then coming here asking how to build turbo micra. Tells us either you didnt build the turbo engine or you suffer from memory loss.. no offence.
Back on topic... a turbo build has nothing to do with a steering rack... which can endanger a persons life if done wrong. I take customer safety extremely seriously in my workshop so forgive if I'm a tad short with you ;)
Listen mate I have Owen and built my own micra turbo my self yrs ago and done it cheap lasted 2 yrs then sold, I moved to Saxo turbo I own and built two turbo conversion on them mate as well it was mines for 7 months each, a rack is nothing special too me mate its only a rack with bolts, I been there done it I drive a c200 cdi micra is just for fun mate so yeh go and get rack done off Esle where lol

That's an engine? Tis a good start to being a mechanic but doesn't answer the question.
You do realise once you accept money for doing anything for someone, that enters you into a verbal contract and makes you legally responsible if anything goes wrong?

£30 for both sides is a brilliant price, got quoted up to £150 for labour and then parts on top from other garages.

Taking it 2moz to my guy see what he says about the rack hopefully doesnt need replacing n its straight forward n if he takes the piss again on time i myt jus try it myself, n if i do ,use guys can keep me ryt :)

£30 for both sides is a brilliant price, got quoted up to £150 for labour and then parts on top from other garages.

Taking it 2moz to my guy see what he says about the rack hopefully doesnt need replacing n its straight forward n if he takes the piss again on time i myt jus try it myself, n if i do ,use guys can keep me ryt :)
Mate is easy to do it it's a piss of cake really

Use guys r goin next level talkin turbos n **** lol i was happy when i installed my air filter myself n tht was thru a step by step guide lol

Mate it's only 30 pounds labour I asked for, I won't even waste time on other cars am makin money on conversions my self on other cars am doing that was my quote

I did mine myself because working in aerospace I work to much stricter safety standards than on a car, so I felt confident to do it, and I knew I had the skills and most importantly could approach it with the correct amount of care and professionalism. If I wasn't confident to do it myself (and don't make yourself do it if you'll be forever paranoid the steering wheel wilk fall off!) take it to someone who you feel confident to work on your safety critical car systems. No offence Azzydot, but from what I've seen of your turbo build you wouldn't be my first choice. But it's up to Zehn at the end of the day.

I did mine myself because working in aerospace I work to much stricter safety standards than on a car, so I felt confident to do it, and I knew I had the skills and most importantly could approach it with the correct amount of care and professionalism. If I wasn't confident to do it myself (and don't make yourself do it if you'll be forever paranoid the steering wheel wilk fall off!) take it to someone who you feel confident to work on your safety critical car systems. No offence Azzydot, but from what I've seen of your turbo build you wouldn't be my first choice. But it's up to Zehn at the end of the day.
Haha ok that's what ur thinking but haven't seen in real life, my cdi is running close to 400 and done my self mate done many turbo conversation and also I won't even do other cars I haven't got time for that

Calm the beans guys im up in sunny glasgow n most of u guys r down south i think, so my options r take it to my mechanic n if he takes to long i myt try n do it myself ( with extensive help from you guys) mind u if i do it myself i will be asking and posting pics every step of the way :)

Calm the beans guys im up in sunny glasgow n most of u guys r down south i think, so my options r take it to my mechanic n if he takes to long i myt try n do it myself ( with extensive help from you guys) mind u if i do it myself i will be asking and posting pics every step of the way :)
Go for it mate am happy ur doing it ur self something u learning

Haha ok that's what ur thinking but haven't seen in real life, my cdi is running close to 400 and done my self mate done many turbo conversation and also I won't even do other cars I haven't got time for that
Any proof of this 400? My celica was approx 400 and I know its beyond a small diesel engine ;)
So far I believe you haven't done 1 conversion but that's my opinion based on your alternator solution :)

Back on topic Zehn let us know how it goes either way mate :)

Best way imo. And we like pics. In fact it's usually a case of pics or ban :p

Back