Removing Inner Tie Rod Ends

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
OK just wanted to make sure, I think Frank might be right. Have been planning for long to replace both inner and outer track/tie rod ends of my '95 k11 1.0L , now it seems I've hit a dead end with my inners since they seem all round and even worse seem to have no nut anywhere??

have had the replacement ones standing by for quite a while now waiting for me to get things done, now that I've started replacing them this evening *er have the car jacked up right now with the inner boot/gaiter removed *er seems like have hit a dead end and would need to put the gaiter back on and replace just the outer ones only... Photos maybe these would be of any help.
20141024_220610_zps681eca38.jpg

Above, is the inner tie rod end from looking from inside (steering rack looking outside towards the wheel)

20141024_220543_zps00cfd834.jpg

This is the inner tie rod end as seen from outside. It has a round edge allover

20141024_220538_zpsac82ae63.jpg

Again

thanks guys esp Dear Frank and Grandmaster Pollyp

OP
OP
funky2nite

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member

Above is the inner tie rod end, I guess it needs replacement, yet the way its fit the whole rack must be replaced. Any Opinions guys?

pollyp

Club Member
have a look at the replacement tie rod, does that have the flat hex/square edges?
thats odd that the current tie rod has no edge for any spanner/tool. try unscrewing it off with big mole grips. check for any locking pins/rivets

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Firstly it seems like the rod is OK. Twists with mole grips off dudr. You need to look under the rack face for a little metal flap which will stop the rod unscrewing itself. I had to break mine by twisting the rod and forcing it as I twisted the rod.

OP
OP
funky2nite

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
have a look at the replacement tie rod, does that have the flat hex/square edges?
thats odd that the current tie rod has no edge for any spanner/tool. try unscrewing it off with big mole grips. check for any locking pins/rivets
Youre right mate the new one has no flat hex edges anywhere. Just a thread behind the hub. Ill soon post a picture. But still am weary on how would I go around clamping the old one to try to undo it.

if you can find a way of securing the new one without damage, i'd grind flats onto the old one to get a spanner on it.

where did you find inner rod ends? i've looked everywhere and it seems that you can only get them on a new (reconditioned) rack. as i dont run power steering, i'm going to buy a new rack. even with the exchange fee at eurocarparts, its still only about £100.

OP
OP
funky2nite

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
Here's a photo of the replacement inner which happens to be also round, but has a thread at least in the inner side. Have no clue if mine's liek that too, It would be risky trying to grab hold of the stock one whilst twisting might damage the rack if its unservicable and the rod gets bent...
20141025_141519_zpsa489f938.jpg

20141025_141514_zps2f3e6fe4.jpg

OP
OP
funky2nite

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
if you can find a way of securing the new one without damage, i'd grind flats onto the old one to get a spanner on it.

where did you find inner rod ends? i've looked everywhere and it seems that you can only get them on a new (reconditioned) rack. as i dont run power steering, i'm going to buy a new rack. even with the exchange fee at eurocarparts, its still only about £100.

eyy mate grind flats in that tight space, you'd consider putting in your grinder without seeing anything since it fills out the opening to reach it?

Both Inners only costed 21ish quid for the two off fleabay here's the immaculate seller's link: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e1140...1&exe=10013&ext=100025sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

OP
OP
funky2nite

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
here,s the one from my old 95 super s, different (finer) thread, and serviceable type

View attachment 36436
Than mine's surely not serviceable since in the vid I posted there doesn't seem to be to part were the rod connects via a thread, just like the replacement has.. right? If I tried twisting use mole grip than I might be damaging the rack?

You'll need some stilsons to get them off. I've removed them with the rack in the vice, never tried whilst the rack was on the car so can't say if there is room for stilsons.

OP
OP
funky2nite

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
I told you it screws off
You said it, and for that I shall retry it. this weekend I'll unmount both ends and try to locate the metal flap you mentioned at the center of the rack than try undoing the inners hopefully with molesgrip. What shall I be cautious at mate since I don't have a rack at hand and the babe is my daily runner for work?