Inherited the wifes Micra

My wifes new car has arrived (Polo BlueGT 150 1.4turbo) and I have been given the Micra as a run around.

The Micra itself is a K12 55 plate 160SR in powder blue.

So the questions are these:

1. is there anywhere does a twin exit exhaust or something up the middle. More for styling than noise and performance.

2. Is lowering just a case of front springs or is it all 4.

3. Can I replace steering wheel with non-airbag aftermarket

4. what would you do - budget is not unlimited

cheers and hi

Check greggson exhausts. They do a couple different styles of exhaust that I personally had :) I had the single centre-tip exhaust myself. All you need to do is cut the exhaust pipe as close to the rear muffler as possible and then you can attach just about any exhaust you like. The tricky bit that needs you to keep the pipe coming out of the back of the muffler is the arch which lifts the exhaust up over the rear subframe. You wont find anything similar to this on any other car so keep hold of that bit and just add your own muffler as you please.

If you lower just the front springs then the car will pitch forward or dive. Obviously you have noted that when you sit in the car that the front depresses slightly more than the front. This will be much more apparent if you lower just the front of the car. And I'm sure you have also noted that when race cars or rally cars or any type of car brakes that the front of the car pitches downward because the weight moves to the front as momentum shifts forwards because the front of the car is slowing quicker than the rear. Well if you do this with just front lowering springs then it'll diver even more, and it is incredibly difficult to control a car when all of the weight is being put onto the front wheels which is what you'll be trying to turn. You can get lowering springs for all 4 corners of a Micra or go the rest of the way and get a set of performance struts along with it. I got a set of lowering springs and struts from FK for about 300 quid if I remember correctly. Will compromise ride comfort but will greatly improve cornering and handling, as well as looks!

You will need to buy a Micra K12-compatible steering wheel boss kit which will make sure that the new wheel actually attaches to the steering wheel hub. You can buy an aftermarket wheel but obviously you won't have an airbag .... up to you. If you do choose to remove it then disconnect the battery when you do, be incredibly careful and consider race harnesses and a harness bar because having a seatbelt that is just designed to slow you down with help from the airbag won't be any good if you don't have the airbag installed. The harnesses will keep you pinned to the seats at all times and so the airbag won't be necessary. I have driven with harnesses for over a year and have made many hard brakes and collision-avoiding maneuvers and have had no problems at all with safety or comfort. Check with an MOT tester if it is legal to remove your airbag ...

Check my rally-style Micra update and you will see what I'd do :) since its a 160 SR engine you can squeeze quite a bit of power out of it ... I will go as far as saying that for a 1.6 litre N/A hatchback of that style that the 160 SR is actually one of the best performing cars out there for that type of price. They made a Nissan Micra K12 R which was a race-spec 160 SR and they had a decent amount of power in it ... Google it and see what you find. There is a Japanese tuning company that offers a whole host of performance parts for the Nissan Micra (in their terms it's called a Nissan March) including a performance throttle body, ecu and even a supercharger kit. Check them out! I cannot for the life of me remember what the name of the company is though ...

Last edited:
Back