Induction question

Robert

Ex. Club Member
Induction kits like the K&N 57i, Green, and piper cross, What actually comes in the kit?

I'd want to relocate the filter, over to the right of the engine bay. Do the kits supply anykind of piping to do this? Or are the filters bolted directly to the TB?

sorry if it's been covered before, i did try search but couldn't find the answer :blush:

In a kit you will usually get the filter, a jubilee clip to secure it on and a cold air feed.

To relocate the filter you will need to get a 90degree bend hose for the TB and some piping to connect that to the filter.

picture of mine
Image002.jpg

ah! Thats what i want it like, thanks..

What diameters are the bend/pipe? And what filter is that?

I plan on replicating your system :p near enough anyways..

do what i did. And the pad the tube out with some electrictions tape. Your gonna have to use a large roll, but it will be a better fit.

I've used 68mm plastic drainpipe with an 87.5 degree bend , all i did was pour boiling water over the neck of the bend to soften it and then push it over the TB it fits like a glove, then cut down the pipe to fit (it came in a 2 metre length, loads left over), put the filter on the end and bobs your uncle, all done, including the filter off ebay the whole things only cost £14.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/sonicmarch/march012.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/sonicmarch/march011.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/sonicmarch/march010.jpg

air filter came this morning, got some polished aluminium pipe in the post, then just need the bend :)

But for now i want to fit the airfilter to the TB, does it need oiling or anything? Or is that just when cleaning?
It came with nothing so i dont wanna kill my engine by not oiling it or anything..

Thanks

Also, the breather hose, what do i do with it?! is it fine just to get a breather filter and stick it on? What does it do..?
No idea about engines really, you may have noticed :p

you can get a breather filter and just stick it on, or leave it open, its only to allow vapour and pressure to escape.

Just found out about the breather bit.. thanks for letting me know what it does though :) any idea about the oiling?

sonic said:
you can get a breather filter and just stick it on, or leave it open, its only to allow vapour and pressure to escape.

Just a note on this, it is technically a crankcase recirculation system. It is there for emissions. with just a small breather filter installed harmful combustion chamber emissions are released into the atmosphere (what leaks past the rings). To meet proper emissions standards these gasses must be vented to the air intake where they are then able to pass through the catalytic converters which extract a large portion of the harmful gasses the motor creates.

I don't see how it can be legal to remove part of the vehicle's emissions control devices without some sort of legal issue arising. So be careful I guess?

yes, point taken, but the emissions laws in this country are quite unrestrictive compared to Australias, as far as I know its not illegal to use the smaller breathers here.

would it do any damage leaving a breather hose/filterthing off for like 6miles?

I'm apatient and want to get the filter fitted now.. but cant pick up the brather filter until work tonight? Would it do any damage driving it that distance?

Thanks for all the help on this :) got the filter and oil breather on now, sounding nice :)

Will get pics up once i paint the rocker cover tonight

sonic said:
I've used 68mm plastic drainpipe with an 87.5 degree bend , all i did was pour boiling water over the neck of the bend to soften it and then push it over the TB it fits like a glove, then cut down the pipe to fit (it came in a 2 metre length, loads left over), put the filter on the end and bobs your uncle, all done, including the filter off ebay the whole things only cost £14.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/sonicmarch/march012.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/sonicmarch/march011.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/sonicmarch/march010.jpg

Hi mate

Where did you get the pipe thats connected to the TB? I can only find them at £15 and upwards o_O

That's the job, but the guy above made a whole kit for £14, that pipe would be over £11 of the total.

TheDaddy said:
Hi mate

Where did you get the pipe thats connected to the TB? I can only find them at £15 and upwards o_O

Like I said in the post, the pipe is just 68mm black plastic drainpipe, it came in a 2 metre length for about £4.60 I think, (B&Q) the bend is just an 87.5 degree drainpipe bend which I think was about £4.50 (again B&Q) and the filter i got cheap off ebay, to fit the bend on the throttle body you just heat it so its flexible (boiling water) then force it over the tb, when it cools it contracts onto the tb sealing it tight. the pipe and fittings are available in black, white and also stylish grey.

Whereabouts in the West Mids are you ? if you are close to Cannock we could meet up and you could take a look, I'll be here for a couple of hours then I'll be heading back home.

I did not catch on that the bend was drain pipe as well. Back to B&Q tomorrow then, already been today for house stuff.

I have bought a filter, £3.00 delivered :)

I am in Pershore, which is SW Mids, bit far to go to Cannock, thanks though

sonic said:
CHEEKY ###### !!!!!:p

lol didnt mean to inslut ya fella just i like my things to look good when i do them :p

any ideas of the piping that i can get off ebay to go with the tubing i got off there earlier today?

is important what size pipe is used? as i've had a different idea about the filter, but would need fairly small pipes connecting the filter to TB..

My kits finished, and here it is:

S4020246.jpg

S4020248.jpg

I'd've liked to have taken it to the drivers side and put the filter directly behind the light, but no such luck.

ive just finished doing mine, need 2 get a decent intake flow tho but its up behind the battery now and not directly behind the engine

here is mine, yes i know it needs a clean so dont comment on it lol

PIC_0053.jpg

between the tb and the filter there volume should be 130% of the capacity of the engine, so for a 1 litre the volume of your pipework between the TB and airfilter should be 1.3 Litres

According to K&N performance site anyway.

Back