Indicator relay

Had a quick search in the forum and not found an answer so I'm just going to come right out and ask here.

Could someone please tell me where the indicator relay is (in a 1991 K10 LS). I thought it was the blue box above the fuse box but Haynes manual says its by the steering column. Stuck my head under there but couldn't see anything (except a lot of dust!). Anyone help me out? A photo would be cool if you've got one. Cheers.

switch the indicators on and listen for the 'clicking' relay and try to follow the noise, if there is a few together you should be able to feel which one is clicking.

Moved a copy of this into K10 section. You may get some more advice there :)

Thanks Arnold. :D

silver_si, thanks for your suggestion, gave it a go, the clicking seemed to be coming from the speedo (i thought somewhere behind) so i demolished the dashboard and unplugged the speedo and the 'clicking' stopped! None of the relay boxes I found make any noises at all. Is this something peculiar to micras where the clicking noise of your indicators comes from where the bulbs are? Bit of a head scratcher this one.... (BTW, what does the blue and grey box above the fuse box do if not the indicator relay?)

If a bit of extra info helps, the problem is the indicators are intermittent. They work for a bit, then go off, then after a while come back on. Sometimes sitting at a junction they will be on then go off after several flashes. Thought it could be the relay (but can't seem to find it) or maybe the stalk? Not sure, anyone got any other ideas about the whereabouts of the relay or what might be causing this problem? Thanks.

hi mate the relay is in the engine bay iirc attached to the drivers side of the engine bay i think its black, with indicators on and bonnet open youll hear the one it is :D

This is from quickdraw (Wayne) the relay is fastened to the metal strut that comes from the bulkhead that the steering colum attaches to on the left hand side closes to the centre console heater martrix side. :) Hope this helps.

Thanks (to Wayne), I've managed to get my finger on it, can feel it clicking and can just about see it through the gap where I some stuff off. Before I go any further into destroying my car, is there an easy way to get to it or is the whole hog of removing the dash?

Back