Increasing Torque

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
Basically i will be rebuilding my engine soon (not re-con just rebuild with 1.3 parts).

Basically IF my engines in good condition still i want it to stay that way, but if i ever want a reaction from my car i have to rev the tits off it.

Was wondering if they were any good ways to increase the torque of the car to try and stop having to rev it up so much.

Was thinking CGA3DE cams would be a good start as they have a power-band which is a bit lower down?

I know this is abit weird compared to what most people want but my cars a road car, not a track car, and i want try and tune it accordingly :p

bolt on turbo costs kinda much i dont think he has the resources for that...n also with turbos u got the spooling up period its kinda same situation but just more power etc...unless use something like a low pressure turbo but still costs too much money imo...

Torque is directly related to airflow, anything that gets more air in and out of the engine more efficiently will result in more torque

Ed said:
Torque is directly related to airflow, anything that gets more air in and out of the engine more efficiently will result in more torque

i thought gtting rid of the back pressure on a k11 looses torque..or was i missled

Not as simple as that. Infact I don't like the use of the word back pressure at all as its missleading. Under any condition if you have any pressure at the exhaust manifold it will have a negative effect on the ability of the exhaust gases to leave the cylendar efficiently. The trouble is you have to look at this as a whole, as there are several factors such as cam profiles that effect the design of an exhaust system...

first let it breath:

induction kit with a good cold feed,
the best way to feed cold air is through a scoop because it is short and direct.

then get a full exhaust system. if anything is left factory then it will bottle neck the exhaust.

then cams, piper or tommi or NME cams :)

i think that brings a 1.3 to about 120 BHP? anyone want to correct me on that?
i suppose it depends on what cams etc you go for...

also LOOSE WEIGHT!!!! the less weight your engine has to pull the faster it will react.

if you want a fast car you will eventually have to compromise on comfort and looks like no back seats, stiffer suspention, etc... so you have to decide if you want a rally car or a day to day car.... or like me just get both !!! :D

NeX said:
i think that brings a 1.3 to about 120 BHP? anyone want to correct me on that?
i suppose it depends on what cams etc you go for...

with cams you'll need an safc or equivelant

or go hardcore and get an e-manage or a power fc or somethin like that

then id say maybes 120

yep basically im getting my 1.0 rebuilt with 1.3 components first, that should be a nice step up.

Then im going to look at using a cga3de head becuase i head the valves are better and its just a better head, i need to look into this first and wont be doing it for a while

Then its going to be a case of full exhaust/cams/ecu but thats wayy in the future when i actually do have cash ;)

Thanks for all your replies

But out of intrest (to you 1.3 owners) does your car pull nicely low-down aswell (say 2,000 rpm) becuase on the 1 litre its dead until about 4k then it goes like a rocket (sort of lol)

thanks!

true, from what ive read on here i may be able to up the compression when i do this 1.3 rebuild thing by using my existing 1.0 pistons.

its doubtful though as i heard 2 things:

- 1.3 and 1.0 pistons are the same
- using 1.0 pistons strike the valves when using 1.3 crank/conrods

also i wont be doing anything to increase compression to the point where i have to fork out for optimax

both conflicting, i guess i will only find out when both engines are in bits!

S-AFC is NO GOOD AT ALL for high lift cams. They need ignition and fuel changes, not just fuel. (tbh S-AFC is not really ideal for anything)

Ed said:
S-AFC is NO GOOD AT ALL for high lift cams. They need ignition and fuel changes, not just fuel. (tbh S-AFC is not really ideal for anything)

my ecu will not respond to S-AFC or piggy back anyway, so i heard. (bosch post 2000 one). When i want to go really 'hardcore' and get cams & exhuast system, i will probably need a new standalone ecu too, or get mine completely remapped.

rlees85 said:
But out of intrest (to you 1.3 owners) does your car pull nicely low-down aswell (say 2,000 rpm) becuase on the 1 litre its dead until about 4k then it goes like a rocket (sort of lol)

thanks!

mine will happily cruise around town in 4th/5th and then i dont need to change down to speed up just apply a bit of right foot. get a turbo they are awesome :)

rlees85, can you get some ecu numbers and some images, perhaps external and internal images, i have done some work recently on non nissan ecu's, i'm having a look at someones k12 for them, im interested in having a look

micra_pete said:
rlees85, can you get some ecu numbers and some images, perhaps external and internal images, i have done some work recently on non nissan ecu's, i'm having a look at someones k12 for them, im interested in having a look

no problem, ill try and pm you some over the weekend, though this or MH.

Any information you will be able to give on this ecu would be very helpful, seems quite a shady area lol

Davey C said:
mine will happily cruise around town in 4th/5th and then i dont need to change down to speed up just apply a bit of right foot. get a turbo they are awesome :)

when you taking me for that ride? :p

K11SS said:
yeah rub it in, do you have msn nex can u add me ?

id_415AThotmail.com

cheers :D

yea Everyone i have two micras :p ... actually i have 2.5 cos i have the micra trailer too :D

sorry mate i don't have MSN, i've seen what it does to ppl lol my brother spent 12 straight hours on there lol

Pete just look up on the Bosch Motronic ecus. They are extreamly common, and some can be remapped over the OBDII. (Vauxhaull for example)

Back