Increasing Performance in a 2002 CG10

Hi I've been browsing the forum aimlessly, I would like to improve the performance of my 1.0.

Now I know it's not going to create a horse power monster but I'm not really bothered about going fast, just want to not have to knock it down a gear to get up a hill.

I've seen a lot of people talk about 1.3 cams but what gains could I expect from that? What else would I need to do?

I'm not going to fanny on with induction kits and exhaust systems, in the past I've found that anything other than replacing the standard filter with a cotton one just creates unwanted noise lol.

So if I wanted to increase the performance without swapping the engine or whacking a glanza turbo on what should I do? And where should I start?

Cheers

here's afew ideas to improve power, weight & drag for climbing a hill under it's own steam in a certain gear whilst keeping it N/A

Cool dense air
  • replace stock or pod air filter,
  • cold air intake with ram funnel,
  • insulate inlet pipes to keep air cool n dense,
  • remove & bypass throttle body coolant lines,
  • teflon inlet manifold spacer keeps inlet stone cold

Good compression
  • check compression is strong & even
  • check camshaft valve shim gaps
  • improve camshaft lift and/or timing with 1.3 cams or others

Good fuel supply
  • replace fuel filter
  • check fuel reg & pressures are correct
  • check and clean injectors for consistant accurate efficient combustion mixtures

Strong accurate clean spark
  • match ignition timing to the ECU timing,
  • check spark gap,
  • check for good clean engine electrical ground
  • ECU remap to get the most out of the existing hardware

Good flowing exhaust
  • replace chocking exhaust manifold with 421 header,
  • heat shield the whole exhaust system heat away from engine bay & inlet

Reduce Weight
  • remove all un-used excess weight (passenger seat, rear seats, carpet, roof lining, sunroof, replace spare wheel with sealant, dashboard & heating, ABS system)
  • lighter flywheel
  • less fuel
  • less wiper washer
  • no passengers
  • no payload
  • lose weight/lose clothes :p
  • lighter & thinner wheels & tyres
  • lighter & thinner brake discs/drums/pads
  • remove PAS to reduce weight
  • remove aircon to reduce weight

Reduce Drag
  • check binding brakes
  • streamline all body shut lines with tape
  • remove or replace door mirrors with less draggy or smaller mirrors or cameras
  • reduce rear aero drag with either permanant static teardrop bodywork or inflatable rear teardrop during high speed cruise
  • cover wheel arch gaps & wheel spokes
  • restrict airflow through grill openings but still enough to cool radiator
  • smooth undertray
  • thinner engine & gearbox oil without compromising reliability or burning oil
  • run maximum tyre pressures
  • correct tyre rolling diameter to allow engine rpm to reach it's peak torque range at a certain speed & gear at the hills steepest angle to either maintain constant speed up the hill or reduce the rate of deceleration in a certain gear enough to make it over the hill.
  • remove PAS to reduce parasitic losses
  • remove or do not use aircon to reduce parasitic losses
  • turn off all non-essential electrical loads during hills (fans, lights, cig lighter, wipers)
  • follow behind other vehicles turbulant wake within reasonably safe distance to reduce aero drag

or get towed/pushed up the hill :p

The biggest improvement for my 1.0 was advancing The cams. Crude. But it works. Did it with a hand drill oil and patience

Attachments

• 1428958082973.jpg
    1428958082973.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 258
Back