In car monitors / brackets

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hey guys

I've been looking at in car computer related stuff, (Ollie gave me the idea), and i've been looking at monitors to go in the car. The problem im having is i want to mount the monitor bracket to my dash, (on the curved bit above the glove box for those who know K10's) which simply allows me to slot the TFT into place, and take it out when i want

However, alot of the monitors i've come across have crappy table top stands like this -

MM400_V2_komplett.jpg

Also i notice in that image there's an L shape object just below the top right image of the screen. Is that the thing im after? If not, can anyone recommend a monitor which comes with the sort of bracket that im after?

Cheers guys

if yours comes with a stand like that i'm sure you can bend the metal to fit as it's slotted!! Otherwsie, make your own :)

Hmm, the trouble with bending another bracket or something like that would probably result in it being weak. My car's quite a rough ride and would need a firm and secure bracket at least to stop the screen from getting damaged or flying off!

i'd take out the ashtray and use the screw holes under neith to hold a bracket, was going to do this but changed my mind

Dont want to use fiberglass or anything like that, i just want to simply screw or bolt a bracket into the dash. No fibre, no fuss. The same sort of thing you can get to wall mount TFT monitors etc, just alot smaller!

i have that exact screen ;) its not bad actually :D it comes with two stands... one it the black l shaped bit of metal which is what you want really but it leaves no adjustment once its in... and when the screen isn't in you have a metal spike in your dash and i dont want to see that go though Ems eye when you rear end someone :p :p :p

the other one is fully adjustable and comes with sticky pads to bolt is as well as screw holes... the metal fins are thin and can be bent round the shape of the dash really easily :D

me myself i have advanced far beyond all that 7" crap :p :p lol i am fitting 12" in a custom pod ;) that way i can get a higher spec mobo in behind it :D

BTW vist www.mp3car.com for advice and ideas and www.linitx.co.uk for parts ;) i recommend a battery monitoring psu that makes sure the battery can still crank the car if the pc is left on, and auto shuts down the pc when the voltage drops ;) turns your car battery into a UPS :D very useful :D

hehe you are welcome ;) just call me for the next job on the banana lol

omg that sounds soo wrong lol

BTW vist www.mp3car.com for advice and ideas and www.linitx.co.uk for parts ;) i recommend a battery monitoring psu that makes sure the battery can still crank the car if the pc is left on, and auto shuts down the pc when the voltage drops ;) turns your car battery into a UPS :D very useful :D

Yeah i've got all that already bud, from that website infact! Completely forgot they would have sold screens, so im going back for a second glance. James said he has one for sale but i really can't be arsed to drive round his :p

Good point about the bracket spiking ems if i had a crash, im not going to stick it there anymore :)

Yeah i've got all that already bud, from that website infact! Completely forgot they would have sold screens, so im going back for a second glance. James said he has one for sale but i really can't be arsed to drive round his :p

Good point about the bracket spiking ems if i had a crash, im not going to stick it there anymore :)

cool :D

lol good man ;) what you really want is a GPS style one that you can stick to the window, but i have not seen it....

My monitor will be here today. Everything else is at home! Ram, PSU, Hard drive, adaptors, cables, fibreboard. Actually, im considering getting a wireless keyboard with intergrated mouse, but the touch screen will do for now. I'l do thread from start to finish with prices & parts etc, might encourage others to go ahead and do one too

Im still not sure where to mount the screen though. I thought i'd do it below the ashtray as mentioned by fordy but there isnt much room there either. I'l find somewhere ;)

well it's here and im very impressed! I got the linitx 7" monitor with touch screen. I love the way the power, usb and video signal all go down one cable. I could potentially use both brackets to mount it aswell. I also ordered an wireless keyboard today with intergrated mouse, and its around 30cm wide or less, so will sit nicely in my car :)

Pictures and all that to come some time

well it's here and im very impressed! I got the linitx 7" monitor with touch screen. I love the way the power, usb and video signal all go down one cable. I could potentially use both brackets to mount it aswell. I also ordered an wireless keyboard today with intergrated mouse, and its around 30cm wide or less, so will sit nicely in my car :)

Pictures and all that to come some time

cant wait to see pics mate!!

i have a spare laptop im wanting to put in my micra with a touch screen just like urs!!!

good luck with installation!!!
pics as you go please :grinning:

Hmm i dunno bud, i think i'd rather just stick with the original stand that was supplied. Im thinking about using the half circle shaped one so i can screw it to my dash and face it wherever i like - and be able to remove it.

Back