ignition coil

Type-R

Ex. Club Member
My friend has a k10 1.0 heres the problem.... the coil on the passenger side wing going to the dizzy seems to have a problem.

The positive and negative terminals have an electrical contact to the big cable in the centre that goes to the dizzy. It happens when the car is started. Is this a common problem or a easy fix problem?

why is the electricity jumping from the coil terminals to the centre cable?

Its not, the electricity is jumping from the large lead in the centre (the High Tension or HT lead) to the smaller LT (low tension) terminals. Most probably because the insulation on the HT lead has broken down or there is a lot of dirt built up around it.
I would suggest you buy an new set of HT leads, including the spark plug ones (Nissan parts recomended) and give the coil a good clean with degreaser.

Whatever you do don't put your hand near it when it sparks, it will tickle a bit.

make sure the lead going into the coil is firmly pushed in. My ignition coil was incorrectly put back on, causing the spark to jump - and ended up melting the cable!

if you get nissan ht leads you get all of them including the coil to dissy one, and should cost around £35 quid for all 5 leads

Back