I will just leave you all with this...

they can refuse to emission test it steve if you have a noticeable oil or waterleak, and a new seal should,nt leak eh :eek:

i know that's what is confusing me, i could try another new seal i suppose but what if it still leaks! also i cant decide what would be easier to remove, the engine or gearbox!

Ok i now cant tell where its coming from really as its all covered in oil, going to re-seal the sump and have a good look tomorrow in the light, some was dripping on the exhaust which made me very worried when i stopped somwhere and it was smoking under the bonnet!

you,re probably gonna have excess crankcase pressure till those rings bed in steve, i would run some thicker oil in it for a few weeks first, before you start stripping stuff :eek:

oh that makes sense now, also when i take the oil cap off the idle gets a little rougher, not bad mind but a noticeable difference if this confirms your suspicion?

Cheers

Steve

theoretically you could buy/borrow oil pressure gauge, maybe it would help confirming Baz's suspicion..

btw, sorry for thread "hijacking", but does anybody know, what should be the k10 1.0liter oil pressure when cold idle, warm idle, cold cruising and warm cruising? I saw it somewhere, but now cant find it anymore.. (mine is about 40psi, 20psi, 80-90psi, 45-55 psi)

theoretically you could buy/borrow oil pressure gauge, maybe it would help confirming Baz's suspicion..

btw, sorry for thread "hijacking", but does anybody know, what should be the k10 1.0liter oil pressure when cold idle, warm idle, cold cruising and warm cruising? I saw it somewhere, but now cant find it anymore.. (mine is about 40psi, 20psi, 80-90psi, 45-55 psi)

No that would'nt have anything to pump the pressure supplied by the oil pump. My st is about 4bar when cold and 2bar when warmed sometimes drop to 1bar as the idle speed lowers below 850rpm so I usually have it set to around 1000rpm idle as it keeps the oil pressure up

One other thing now, i have took off the turbo and looked on the exhaust side and there walls of the turbo are grey as aposed to black how it was before, also the spark plugs are grey?

One other thing now, i have took off the turbo and looked on the exhaust side and there walls of the turbo are grey as aposed to black how it was before, also the spark plugs are grey?

Kind of a white colour? If its black it means its running rich.Why you take the turbo off? oh btw I found one of those half moon shaped rubber seals for you

Its a sort of very light grey colour, fixed the stud and now im having trouble with the idle settings:

When its cold and i turn it on it idles about 2k rpm, timing is set to 15 deg BTC IN NUTRAL
When i put it in DRIVE the gear engages and the idle drops to 1k rpm COLD

When it gets up to operating temperature the ide drops to around 850 rpm
I have only adjusted the far right idle screw none of the other two on the throttle body

Any ideas? could the timing still be wrong?

Oil Leak

ok, i have now looked closely underneath the ST to try and diagnose the cause of the oil leak.

Now it seems to be coming mainly from one place up the back of the engine, the dripping oil looks clean, but i cannot tell exactly where its coming from as it doesnt really leak if i run it on idle.

it seems to be coming from around near the oil filter although the oil filter, turbo oil pipe and oil pressure sensor all seem tight and the copper washers were new. also there seems to be some dripping underneath the inlet manifold? although this could be splatter. The drive shaft had oil on it, so did the exhaust and it seems to have dripped onto them from this location i just cant think of where?

Steve

Back