i need more power!

hey guys, will be travelling to uni in september, and will be doint 20 miles there and back, thinking my 1.0l would probably struggle as a little motorway driving is required, what else could i get to increase the peformance of my car? apart from the usual induction kit, backboxm and a power boost valve. does anyone have a power boost valve? are they any good?

http://www.potn.co.uk/-_c618_619_641_p1600352.htm

A 1.3?? It wont really struggle on the motorway. Other things you could do is get the Janspeed manifold but not really worth it for the 1L. Power boost valve is only really worth it running bigger BHP.

TB is the throttle body, basically what the air intake sits on. A 1.6 one will allow more air and fueling in, but some say this is a pointless mod. The ECU, is like the "brain" of the car which controls things like fueling.

cool, youve been a great help guys. ive been told by a friend who used to drive a 1L wouldnt have enough power for m-ways. how much would it cost to change the cams?

I've got a pretty standard 1.0 and at 70 its fine. Try to hit 80 though and it tends to struggle, but you wouldn't want to be doing that on public roads now would you? :wasntme:

I've been looking into a couple of perfomance mods for when I get some NCB on my insurance and in my opinion, a better air intake, K&N panel filter and a decent manifold seems to be the way to go.

I've heard that the 1.6 Primera (I think) airbox with a K&N panel filter works pretty well. I assume its an exact fit.....

1.0 L cars are fine for motorway use, just when you hit a slight incline, your gonna have to drop a gear, which can be annoying.

micra_k11 said:
so i take it that chaning the cams is an expensive job then, RIK?

ide say so yes..if you get a garage to do it

or learn to do it yourself but its if you are confident are not ,matey :)

1.0l on motorways would be fine! No mods on mine currently and pushed 90 on the M1 oops I mean 70, honest.

i used to drive my 899cc cinquecento all over on mways, would cruise at 80 with no problems (even going to leeds loaded with camping gear)

so a 1l should have no trouble!

1.0 is good up until 90mph maybe even 100 on steelies (on 'private roads') (on the clock before every1 shouts BS!)

But to make the 1.0 feel faster (doesnt make much difference top end however) 1.3 cams and messing with the factory air box (like sawing off the tip of the resonator pipe) has made a nice, noticeable performance inrease on mine.

And if you have some mechanical knowledge that will all cost under £20/30 quid

I've drove to Birmingham in a 1L few times and unless you plan to break the speed limit you'll be fine.

If you need more performance then get a 1.3, if you can afford manifolds, boost values and 1.6 parts then you should just get a 1.3 instead whether it's an engine transplant or a car.

Anyone who had a 1L and then a 1.3 will agree it's the best start, most 1.3 drivers have hit 100mph easy

as you are inexperienced and dnt want to run up high modification bills and get confused with loads of jargon i would just do some simple halfords modifying.

1. K&N panel filter replaces stock nissan one on top of the TB. VERY easy to replace and locate. Let your car breathe a little better.
2. Janspeed De-Cat....Removes standard nissan cat with a performance one. Less exhaust restriction means increased flow = increased performance. Lets your car expel exhausts a little better.
3. Performance Backbox. Could be any one of your choice from straight swap job. To custom welded on version. Same techincal reason as above.

Know that your car can breath and release exhaust gases a bit easier you should get an increase in torque and slight increase in BHP.

if your going with exhuast mods, get e janspeed manifold, a de-cat and a decent catback system. THen a 1.6 airbox with a KN panel filter.

Back