HR15 questions

CMF_jonojames

» CMF Member
Hi I know this is my first post and here I am asking questions I have searched this forum and many others but haven't found an answer to my question.

I want to supercharge a HR15 the 1.5L engine from the 2010 micra's.

My question being is the HR15 similar in sizing to the CR engine or even the K11 engines? Or maybe CG engines seem more popular then the modern ones any reason why? Sizing I mean weight length width etc

I noticed the HR15 1.5L engine has about 100hp so supercharging that has to go to at least 150hp or more

I notice alot of you go for the even earlier engines from the K11.

I want to put this into a classic mini, i know the largest mini engine supercharged can get me 120hp I want to use a micra engine to avoid any body mods which I know is correct and fit it to a mini but I want the most power possible.

Care to help? I have seen people on here with 1L getting 120hp if my memory serves me right

Thanks in advance.

CMF_woohoomobile

» CMF Member
No too many folk here have owned or played with the K12 and 13's

there are Charger kits out there for these newer cars. from memory there is a bit more modding action in the Nissan Cube fans.

someone in the USA would have done it by now.

Or failing that, being a Mini Fan, give Link automotive a call and get Hans next door to them to build you one. He is the master ive heard.

If you manage to find parts or kits you want overseas, make sure you let us know, as there are a few small businesses we use to import parts/ cars/ wheels/ junk/ without getting ripped off too hard.

CMF_jonojames

» CMF Member
Thanks I really appreciate your time, so from what I gather the older the micra the more parts mods etc yeah?

Makes sense. I read that a guy supercharged a 1.3L micra engine but
I am guessing its teh older ones.

Can you actually get 1.3L 160hp NA or is it gotta be forced?

I plan on doing this all myself just doing as much research as possible.

CMF_hotfunk67

» CMF Member
Dont most people go the honda vtec route for na minis?

There is a thread on here somewhere with a guy who put a 1 litre k11 motor and a diahatsu turbo in a mini.

Good luck with it.

CMF_jonojames

» CMF Member
Micra conversion is the only conversion where you dont have to cut the body as far as I was aware. Thank you for the link.

CMF_fuzzy-hair-man

» CMF Member
Hey,

As I'm doing a cg13 into a mini conversion I guess I have 2 cents to add..

The conversion in the link above uses the smaller K10ish era gearbox (some k11s got them) which never came out to Australia but are common in the UK on cg10's and have gear ratios to match but do fit the cg13. This buys the conversion some extra space that conversions with the later gearbox don't have (like mine).

As the CG13 is bored out almost as much as possible a 1.5 is going to be a physically larger block so you would likely loose more room again.

Even though the CG fits without body mods it is still a BLOODY tight fit! the general requirement is for 10mm minimum clearance around the engine (taking into account engine movement on mounts).
The water pump is one area that is close, an electric water pump might buy you more room behind the engine but the diff is also a problem as it's close to the mini steering rack. Tilting the engine back slightly might help find some more room up front.

I have cut the inner guard of my mini to clear the harmonic balancer as I didn't want to cut it back (I only cut it a couple of inches and will join it back up).

If I were you I'd look at a blower or turbo on a CG13 if a N/A cg13 doesn't do it for you. The 4EFTE starlet turbo is a well trodden route for high powered mini conversions but you will be cutting out quite a lot.

I'd not like to try and fit a turbo in my engine bay as it is maybe I've done something wrong but I just don't see much room.

A supercharger might be a bit of a different matter the alternator has been put in front of the engine in an conversion I've seen (use a suzuki swift alternator as it's tiny but wouldn't fit on my conversion) which might free up the area near the mini brake master cylinder for a blower, my engine seems to sit quite low so there's possibly room on top for a top mount inter-cooler.

Looking at this pic of White Knight:
http://www.micra.com.au/images/forcedmicras/13d.jpg
and there's not space for that up front on my conversion only available space is as I say behind the engine where bigchief puts his alternator. As I said above tilting the engine back some might buy you some room but near the top of the head which isn't where you want it.

The way I figure with a mini weighing in at 617kg to 680kgs and the micra weighing 810kg you've secured some pretty reasonable weight savings add to that the mini engine and gearbox is supposed to weigh in at 150kg and the figure I've seen for the Micra is 80kg(not sure how accurate), so if you can do the conversion without adding weight you have a 550kg mini vrs a 810kg micra which is a significant saving, then you can go to town stripping out weight from the mini. Light weight should give speed and handling advantages, larger more powerful engines risk overpowering the mini and you loose the handling that I liked in the first place.

Long post huh? Hope it helps,

CMF_fuzzy-hair-man

» CMF Member
Front mounted alternator example here(not sure how he found that much room really! but he did chop the firewall):

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/231743-dutch-micra-engined-mini/

My conversion (not much in it though):

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/253043-spot-the-micra-mini/

other conversions definately worth looking at:
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=176236&hl=
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=193323

40 something pages of BigChief's The mini forum conversion:
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=57644

Back