How to mount Sony Car Stereo onto support frame?

Hi, I'm in trying to replace the standard Blaupunkt car stereo for my K12 Micra 1.2S (Sep 2003) with a Sony CDX-4270R. The Blaupunkt sides have 4 threaded holes. However, the Sony holes are not threaded but its 4 side holes are aligned to the 4 holes of the external metal support frame. I cannot use the original 4 off 4.5mm x 8mm countersunk machine screws because the Sony holes are about 3.5mm in diameter.

How do I mount the Sony stereo onto the external support frame securely? Thanks.

get smaller screws? rivet it in? be very cautious and drill out the holes in the headunit, the metal is so thin cutting a thread into it wouldnt be necessary

i switched my headunit to a sony one, a cdx something or other and it switched over fine.... that was in a 2004 k12 micra

btw read the stickies, this is in the wrong section and your in trouble lol

Hi
You may find that you just throw the nissan brakets away and use the "cage" frame that is supplied with the headunit. it really is that simple !

Kind regards

Malcolm

Hi, Thank you very much for all your suggestions. I'll use either self tapping screws or rivets as suggested by andyseadog. The 2 countersunk self tapping screws for holding the black plastic container (above car stereo in same support frame) in place of the trip computer should do the trick. I have already ordered 4 off (86p each) from Nissan Parts and will reduce the length to be about 8mm.

If unsatisfactory, I could use blind rivets but I need to add an external washer for each hole because the holes in the support frame are quite big.

Hi, I had this problem trying to install my Pioneer stereo. I couldn't use the Pioneer bracket so had to stick with the original frame. While the screwholes on both lined up, they were different sizes in diameter. What I did was just use some washers on the bracket, and then use the smaller diameter screws combined with that to attach the bracket to the headunit. Hope this helps :)

Back