How to guide on changing the gearbox?

Need to change my gearbox and yes I did try a quick search but i'm at work and can't be skiving that much lol

Just wondering if anyones done a How to guide for changing a gearbox on a 1.3?

Any help would be great, thanks :)

p.s loving the xmas forum skin too!

The information you need may be publically available in the tuning sections, but you have to go look for it.

If there is a guide, then why should you get it for free? Do what everyone else has done and sign up, and continue to support the club.

Otherwise, your looking at spending alot more on getting someone to change it for you!

Great way to encourage people into paying to join, edit there posts, I can imagion that works wonders.

If there is a guide, why shouldn't I get it for free? I've not got around to paying on the SXOC website and they're incredibly helpful on there, they don't edit my posts or to and sway me into paying help.

So effectivly I've got to pay to read information I'd like, I could just pay for a Haynes Manual and have all the information there which seems like it'd be of more use with it not having to be viewed from a computer.

This is rediculous, charging people to help them, some community this is.

Great way to encourage people into paying to join, edit there posts, I can imagion that works wonders.

If there is a guide, why shouldn't I get it for free? I've not got around to paying on the SXOC website and they're incredibly helpful on there, they don't edit my posts or to and sway me into paying help.

So effectivly I've got to pay to read information I'd like, I could just pay for a Haynes Manual and have all the information there which seems like it'd be of more use with it not having to be viewed from a computer.

This is rediculous, charging people to help them, some community this is.

I edited your post as the content was against club rules. As i've already said, the information may be available for free, but you have to search for it. There's many benefits to signing up, all can be found on the homepage. It's only right that paying members have access to content & features that non members don't, and i never hear of complaints about this.

The moderators can't work for free,

We do actually!

Can i just point out that if you asked perhaps what would i need to to remove my gear or i need help to remove my gearbox then people would jump at the chance. The guides are there for paid members, if you want to join there is the link.
Although after your rant.............

Can i just point out that if you asked perhaps what would i need to to remove my gear or i need help to remove my gearbox then people would jump at the chance. The guides are there for paid members, if you want to join there is the link.
Although after your rant.............

If i'd of worded it like that i'd of just got plenty of replies of "Use the search button"

I'm in work and have limited access at home so I unfortunatly do not have much time to spend on the net searching for such threads.

How am I meant to know the guides section is there for paid members?

So much for being a heplful community.

We are helpful, just get fed up of hearing the same questions all the time so we ask people to go search, rather than explain it all again.

The guides are there for paid members along with lots of other benefits that make joining the MSC far way out the small contribution that we ask for.

As little as £10 a year is hardly much to ask, yes we could make everything available for free, but then financing the forum and club would be very difficult wouldn't it. It's about getting a balance between the two. We are not just a forum, but a club at the same time.

The MSC forum is one of the most friendly and helpful forums I've ever been on, this is down to it's members, moderators and admin.

I'm sure members here will help you out with any of your questions if they can do so.

The MSC is no different then any other forum / club that operates on the internet that offers official membership schemes. The SXOC will have benefits for paid members just like the MSC does.

Also give people a chance your thread isn't even a day old yet!

thanks
Kev

In all fairness, I can see where mister Adam is coming from. Im also on FiatForum and the guides on there are free. But, having said that, FF has LOADS of members with LOADS of different fiat models of cars. Therefore they can afford to have just a few paid members to pay off for server charges etc..

On here however, there are- as a guess- 200 active members? (active= post often), so the funding is needed. And as said before, its not expensive (I have a cheek saying this, Im not a paid member :upside: ....Yet :) Just as soon as Xmas is done!!!)

I dont think a Haynes will cover the entirety of the process of changing a gearbox.. So you dont have alot of choice 2bh. Take it to a garage and pay much more than what you could to have people here to help you when you need it- WHENEVER you need it; or pay £10 and have a years worth of information and help.

I know which I'd pick.

Just to finish off, Get a haynes anyway. They're invaluable.

Chris.

I dont think a Haynes will cover the entirety of the process of changing a gearbox.. So you dont have alot of choice 2bh.

i think it does, but may have to check, but the main point is..... (here we go i here u say, napsters off on one again :p )

"its difficult this subject, it really is, but when i wasnt a full member, the "max post count" got to its final post and i couldnt post anymore :sleepy: but for some strange reason the idea of not posting on MSC again seemed crazy, so i signed up. now i can post when ever i like, send PM's, i got stickers to go on the car, a membership card. i have access to so many other hidden forums"

by all means im not having ago, but as "kev" and others have said its not alot of money and you get so much!!! but then I WANTED to still be part of the MSC!!! if i didnt then no i wouldnt have signed up!!

before anyone says anything....i do have alife out side of MSC!!!! we all do!!! but people are on here posting everyday as its so freindly. people like to help! you dont get a half of the "your car is crap" comments on here!!! i enjoy helping where i can, and see new unique mods take shape!! its just awesome imo!!

sorry and thanks
napster

Have we reached a point yet? If so worth locking thread and having our guest start a new "help removing gearbox" thread.
Or move this thread to general chat for further discusion.

I must say ive found the info ive needed in the past with things like the throttle body guide.

But i dont see why people should pay for this free info.

My experiance of the online car world is that people help each other out for free and normally that coarse of action and spirit leads to someone paying as a member.

I didnt realise that I have a max post count and that when my last post is used ive got to pay for the privalige of posting on a car forum.

Infact im a member on many without having to pay so I can keep people informed about the Reading Jap meets

Gordon Brown didnt tell you guys to do that did he?

poor show IMHO.

If I was going to upgrade or buy another micra I would probablly pay the fee, but while im using it as the great daily run about that the micra is and only need the basic info to keep the thing on the the road why would I shell out?

If I was going to upgrade or buy another micra I would probablly pay the fee, but while im using it as the great daily run about that the micra is and only need the basic info to keep the thing on the the road why would I shell out?

Don't then, it's pretty simple.

People might not remember, but when the site changed the membership policy, the club was on a knife-edge of going under and the increased revenue that was generated has kept the club going and TBH I don't think that it has harmed the content of members of the club.

Also, gearbox changes is the type of job that a Haynes is perfect for, although it doesn't tell you what a pig of a job it is when teh engine+box are in the car.

Craig

I am now a paid member for 2 car clubs. I am happy to pay for them as these are clubs not 'forums' so funding is required. Its not like its hundreds of pounds to join, a measly £10 a year can get you everything you need.

The way the guides are kept for paid members is good IMO and does not mean they are not free. 'free' information is still there for non paying members if they ask people how to do it and not for a guide.

I have been a paid member for 2 years on my other club and I was also on a 'free' forum and the difference in people there is massive.

This is more of an owners club than an enthusiasts club and that makes a difference. You dont get the "your car is crap compared to mine" threads. Evryone here has been more than helpfull to me and I have only been on here for a week lol.

**Switching off Rant Mode**
Pete

def said:
I didnt realise that I have a max post count and that when my last post is used ive got to pay for the privalige of posting on a car forum.
It's actually a "Max technical post" count. When this is hit, the technical forums will become restricted, but you will still have the ability to post in all the general sections.

When I first joined the club nearly 4 years ago, I paid up as soon as I could, even though I was still a student back then and £20 (There was no £10 option back then) is a significant amount of cash. I never regretted it, it was the best £20 I've ever spent.

I made lots of good friends on here, many of whom I see regularly, one of which I am currently a house mate with!

We do realise without the members we would be nothing, but it's a two way street, paying helps keep the club alive, allows us to keep attending the shows (these arent free) and all the other stuff that comes with a club (stickers, membership cards, the website, etc)

The more people pay, the bigger we get, the more companies are prepared to give us discounts on their products. The number of discounts on this site has easily doubled, if not more in the past 3 years and I think it's all down to the new membership model.

Anyway, I've said my piece, it's down to you whether you pay, we don't hold it against you if you don't!

James.

I must say ive found the info ive needed in the past with things like the throttle body guide.

But i dont see why people should pay for this free info.

My experiance of the online car world is that people help each other out for free and normally that coarse of action and spirit leads to someone paying as a member.

Infact im a member on many without having to pay so I can keep people informed about the Reading Jap meets

poor show IMHO.

So if you were going to make upgrades to your current micra or buy another one, you would join the club? Joining the MSC isn't just about getting information and access to some guides, it's about far more then that, members who have taken up the membership experienced first hand what the MSC is about and attended events over the years that the MSC has paid out hundreds for will tell you so.

however information and privileges you don't get as non paid member in your opinion is to quote "poor show IMHO"

It's comments like above in my opinion is what is a poor show, for years the MSC at Ed's and my expense provided a service and will still continue to do so for the non paid member and as long as I'm chairman of the MSC, this will remain in place.

There will always be benefits for paid members of the MSC and it's quite ironic that the ones moaning here are the ones no getting those benefits. There will always be people who expect things for free and to a degree the Micra Sports Club will provide that, again I'm not going to get bogged down with costs etc etc, hosting alone here costs over £500 a year, would expect Ed or me to continue paying that?

You may think I seem to come across harsh, however I've done this for many years now and heard it all before, the MSC, it's reputation all continues to grow, I will continue this development for the club further into next year when I get the chance to do so.

I will always put the best interests of the MSC first.

Thanks
Kev

Too right, if you don't want to join in and contribute to the community I'd rather you didn't bother visiting the site.

That way the people who do contribute don't have to feel they are propping up the people who cannot be arsed to pay and forever winge "but its free elsewhere etc" good go away then.

One thing that REALLY winds me up are the low life cheapskates that get to 100 posts then re-register as a new member. Kev gives these people a second chance. If it was me I would just ban them. Thats deliberate, and goes against everything the club and its members stand for.

I will also be sorting that out next year Ed.

At the moment I'm just to busy.

Kev

changing the gearbox was a pain in the butt! everything come off fine but when i tryed to line up the gearbox with the clutch it just wasnt working, 4 hours later at trying and i got it :p

Got it done, big thanks to everyone who posted your help was incredibly useful. :rolleyes:

If anyone would like any advice/help (free of charge) with changing their's the catch me on msn :)

i am just clearing my mind and not having ago at ANYONE so no-one can get the wrong idea, as i am NOT being NASTY to anyone

dont appologies, theyre all valid points :p

Thanks, i just didnt want any arguments thats all! everyone here provides an awesome service and helping hand!

i think it is so true that if us "paying members" did not continue signing back up, non-members would be stuck in my opinion!

(maybe i should keep my mouth shut! but seeing as i never post crap and always want to help, i am inclined to go on; )

i hate arguments over pathetic silly questions! provoking it doesnt help! i dont know what "MrAdam" posted in his third post to have Arnold edit it and i dont want to know, but thats what has sparked this all off, and alot of "attitude"!!!!

this quote "Wow, really friendly and helpful on here then i see." if you only knew the half of what has gone on over the past 4/5years on this site!!! you have been a member on here for 3weeks!!!!! and have made "3 threads" of which you recieved an awesome amount of help!!!!!!!

http://www.micra.org.uk/search.php?searchid=424993

the members forum on here gets used (to clarify nothing bad goes on in there, just more car chatting), but most of the posts go into all the forums you see as an "un-official member", so.........all new members get the attention they need!!!!!

no-one is robbing anyone or being nasty! as James and others said, if you didnt want to ever post again then no-one will hold it against you, but can we possibly stop now and start off again????

perhaps maybe for "£1" you could do a trial day as a member and if you didnt think it worth it...........dont sign up!!!!

i dont know if i have made things worse, better on nobody cares, hopefully though no-body will hold a grudge!!!! i know i wont!!

all the best to you MrAdam!!

sorry again!!!
naps

you have been a member on here for 3weeks!!!!! and have made "3 threads" of which you recieved an awesome amount of help

Yes I did recieve a fantastic amount of help in regards to the Pulsar brake thread, to which I appriciated a lot :)

I'm a member of 6 or so forums for different cars or bikes I have, so if they all charged £10-£20 a year, then thats £60-£120 a year for the sake of looking at internet forums. Thats a fair bit to spend for the sake of looking at information by anyones standards.

As I said, thanks to anyone thats helped in this topic.

If anyone needs help then feel free to contact me.

its the exclusivity of the site that warents the fee..

name me another micra site with this much information or dedication to its members, or discounts, or benifits??

there isnt one.

how many pulsar owners clubs is there... in the world? skyline? primera? 200sx? 300zx?

exactly, they dont charge cos they know its available elsewhere. the information on here usualy isnt available anywhere else. and as for a guide. how many hours has someone taken to write a guide?. do the work? work out all the bugs and problems? take pictures? take time to post them on here and answer questions??

i pay for this forum like anyone else whos a full member, and i dont care if i never drive again. i would still pay as i have met most of the current "active" team allready and will continue to support them as i see that if we dont. the only way for this site to opperate is to have banners, ads, and popups to fund it.

andi dont want that on my forum..lol

Back