How much power can conrods handle?

CMF_Michiel

» CMF Member
I'm planning an engine upgrade for my CG13DE engine. At this time my T20 turbo delivers about 0,5 bar (7,3 psi).
I want to lower my compression using low compression pistons but I'm wondering how much power the original conrods can handle before they bend or brake?

My engine will be O ringed and the pistons will be oversized.

I think I'll be happy with about 150/160 bhp.

Thanks.

CMF_Michiel

» CMF Member
Thanks, haven't found that topic yet.

Can anyone else conform that high rpm can bend or brake the conrods, and with a turbo on high boost (for example 1 bar (or 14 psi)) the stock conrods can handle that amount of power?

yeh, rpm will kill them, keep it under 7500-8000. a turbo that small won't put much stress on it at all, and with any more then probably 14psi that turbo will just be heating up the air anyway. if you want to be safe, get them shot peened, and try and see if you can get some aftermarket bolts for them, arp can custom make them, but the turnaround time is pathetic. the bolts are normally the weakest point in stock rods.

CMF_Michiel

» CMF Member
Thanks, our Nissan guy can get the conrods shot peened and some make custom bolts for the conrods (he also suggested this to make it more reliable).

He also suggested to get the shot peened conrods weighted and make them equal weight by drilling them.
I don't think this is necessary but maybe it may stress the crankshaft less...?

Back