How long to shell?

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
I'm stripping my car soon for a beat and spray and was wondering, How long do you think it will take for two people with the right tools to dismantle the micra? more than one full day?

Curious as I am working alot lately and need to know how much time is should set aside.

Also, any tips for taking off the roof interior, or do i have to destroy it?

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
The roof lining on my jap spec just falls away once the plastic trim & grab handles etc. are removed.

Are you removing the engine for an engine bay spray as well? There's a day in that alone by the time you remove brake booster & all other pipes, wires etc.

You post is headed up shell, so if you're stripping the interior, dash, suspension, fuel tank, brake & fuel lines, wiring harness, it's going to take a while.

Are you removing sound deadening? That can take ages if its stuck well & only comes off in chips.

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Yeah, nz_aj if its more than a weekend hackout job for total stripping than i need to make sure i have transport available, right now im using a mates spare car but i don't want to put him out for too long. Maybe I will have to let the panel beater strip the car, but then they will charge me for holding the cars pieces as well as extra for all the extra work.

Still probably best if i can do it myself i guess because the last thing i want to here is that they lost pieces of my car...

One more thing, anyone ever had a quote from a glass company for new windscreens? Mine has old wiper scratches that are very annoying visually.

mik

» CMF Member
I stripped about two or three times my micra, i needs a weekend (about 2days) with two people.

for painting i stripped:
- full interior
- full engine bay
- all windows + windscreen (1time, last time i did it with windscreen)

if your curios, and want to get really the bare shell its about 3-4 days, including stripping fuel tank, full wiring, suspension, etc.

Are you planing in removing rust and weld new panels in to do by yourself?

Windscreens are about 100€ here

Cheers, and have fun :)

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Thanks for the info guys, yeah probably stripping everything but the fuel tank and have a friend that will help me with rust removal, welding, paint stripping and priming.

Is it legal in queensland to remove paint in your backyard?

mik

» CMF Member
Here's a rust map, where i found often rust on micra's :)
Also if you're going to strip anyway, check under the sound deading as it is sometimes a bit rust there too.

cheers

Attachments

• 51459.jpg
    51459.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 34

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
How to strip the paint of your house if it's not legal?
It's not like you're operating a business.
And neighbors would be tolerant of a bit of noise, like lawnmowers.
Using a grinder at 11pm would probably not be popular thou.

CMF_bigstick

» CMF Member
just make sure that paint removal waste etc doesnt go down stormwater drains etc. Laydown a big tarp underneath car, itll also help retrieve dropped nuts and bolts when ur dismantling. Not fun when u loose them in the grass or dirt. I think sandblasting is an issue in surburban backyard if someone dobs u in.

Back