how big can i go??

CMF_rn1988

» CMF Member
is 16" the biggest you can get on a micra?i wanted to fit seventeens on mine with 205/40/17 but am unsure how much work is involved:(

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
When I changed over to mags they tried 15" rims on my micra but the darn thing resembled a pregnant roller skate plus the fact that they scraped the inner guards on turning, so I stuck with the 13" rims, mind you, I think some of these wheel manufacturers could be a little more creative with their designs for smaller rims on cars. The selection is very poor.

cisco

» CMF Member
Its mostly about a few things:

- offset
- the tyres you select (low profile is best, larger profiles will much more likely bang and hit the inner guards etc)
- Springs and how low/stuff your suspension is.
- Adjustable panhard rod or not

The diameter is not such an issue if the rear axle is centered properly with an adjustable panhard rod.

Even 14 inch rims that are wide enough are going to rub.

For performance you want to keep everything smaller and lighter. 15" is a great compromise that I've found to work best from all the wheel/tyre combos I've tried. I've had 13s, 14s, 15s, 16s. The 16s were too big and too heavy, the 13s give you too large of a sidewall - 14s are pretty similar, but better and still quite reasonable, and the cheap 14s I had were very heavy. 15s give you excellent selection of tyre choice, and you have a few options to play with. Overall diameter with 195/45/15s is excellent, or you can go fatter (i.e. 50 profile) to access a whole better range of tyres for cheaper prices.

If you're just after looks, then sure you will be able to fit 16s or 17s. Go for the lowest profile tyre, make sure you have an adjustable panhard rod. Stiffer springs may also help. Don't get a crazy offset. 16s I have proven to work fine. 17s I haven't done myself, but I think people have and if you consider all the above factors, it should be ok. Just compare the overall wheel/tyre diameter to that of a 16s setup using the miata.net wheel/tyre diameter calculator: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

CMF_Grincheuse

» CMF Member
thx for your advice cisco...i read one of your comments abt a 1.0l micra and you were talkin abt going for small wheel diameter and lightest weight.... what diameter for the rims would go on a 1.0l according to you??? its already not a very powerful engine....:eek:)

Back