tyre size???

CMF_benben

» CMF Member
i went to order my alloys today and i was getting 15/7/195 with 50mm tyre wall and the guy told me i need to get the tyers with the 45mm tyre wall beacuse the 50mm with make my speedo read the worng speed becuase there to big compaired to the orignal???? is this true and if so how much MPH will it knok my speedo out

benben

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
they'll both put your speedo out to some degree just the 50 aspect ratio will do more so than an aspect ratio of 45.

using 155/70 R13 std

155/70 R13 60mph

195/45 R15 61mph
195/50 R15 63.2mph

i wouldn't choose by that though. My desicion would be made by the range of ultra high performance tyres avail in both sizes and their prices. In australia its very hard to find any 195/45 R15 and the ones avail are not name brands. Whereas there are allot of 195/50 R15 tyres avail in various proven brands and are often better priced than the 45's, all depends on what is avail local too you. I'd try to avoid the cheapest tyre avail, theres probably a good reason its soo cheap, either a its junk or b its a quality tyre been marked down. Prob with option b is it could be very old stock and likey the tyres will split/have problems sooner than anticipated,

Alex

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I've got some Nexan NX2000 on my car in 195/45 and they look like a copy of the original series Goodyear Eagle F1 tyre (which was a VERY good tyre). I've got no complaints about these tyres. They're pretty predicatable.

Nankang just recently has been coming out with identicle tread patterns to mid 90's Yokohamas. Some of their tyres are VERY good nowdays.

Falken have the Ziex range in 195/55 as well. Personally I dont like them though. Had a very bad experience with them when I had the pulsar.

When you come to buy them though, just remember that your tyres are your connection to the road. An extra $150 in your budget to pay for slightly more expensive brand name tyres is a very small price to pay for piece of mind and your safety.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Okay well since I lasted posted in this thread I've been playing with suspension on my car I've come to realise the Nexan N2000's are too hard. They require alot of heat for them to start gripping nicely. I have to delfate them to around 36psi to get any kind of grip but down here they are definately underinflated and suffer extreme side-wall rolling and boy do they scream, just cornering gently.

I'm not going to buy them again, even though they do last quite well (it would not be unreasonable to expect 40,000km from them) and perform decently for normal road users.

I believe site member jammin has N3000 series, which are the same tyre, tread pattern etc just a softer compound. They seem to keep him happy and certainly have a crapload more traction than mine.

Just thought I'd update the situation. :)

Back