Horn

CMF_Welshbob1964

» CMF Member
For some reason my horn push only works at the bottom now and only well on one side, neither top works and the middle only if you hit it hard. Has anyone else had this problem, how is it fixed?

Cheers

CMF_azman89

» CMF Member
I haven't had a good look at my standard wheel, as it was one of the first things i ripped off the car, but sounds like dirty/worn contacts. Rip the horn pad off (just pulls off, from memory) and clean the contacts with a needle file or a bit of fine-grit sandpaper. Pull the horn fuse out when doing this to avoid angry neighbours.

CMF_Welshbob1964

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"Welshbob1964 WROTE:

"Mine has the airbag there to. Any danger of it gong off when removing the center assembly?"</div>

i,ve removed mine a few times bob, some say to disconnect the battery etc, but i dont bother

No danger of bang then? Are the horn contacts easy to see and clean?

CMF_azman89

» CMF Member
i usually do not disconnect the battery when dealing with airbags, however, proper procedure is to do this. That being said, nobody but you is responsible for the way you handle it.
I haven't yet seen a micra with srs myself,so i can only post a few pics related to my non-srs steering wheel. (it may help somebody else, if not you)

Below, you can see the cover pops off very easily. pretty basic wheel. an SRS wheel will look very different to this.

Attachments

• 77795.jpg
    77795.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 36

CMF_azman89

» CMF Member
You can probably get in there with a needle file without dismantling the pad. Otherwise it's only another 30 seconds of work to take it apart.
Here is the contact on the back of the wheel itself. The pin that slides along this contact is a common problem on all cars with this design. they wear out quite quickly, get dirty, break etc etc. lightly sand the contact and lightly grease. this one is filthy as it has been in my garage for a year. check the pin, and viewing from the side of the steering wheel, make sure it makes contact as you replace the wheel.

Attachments

• 77798.jpg
    77798.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 36

CMF_Welshbob1964

» CMF Member
azman89 WROTE:

"i'm sorry i can't provide pics/tutorials for the SRS wheels, as i don't have access to one. I hope this helps someone though

Thank you for these, yes it helps to see the horn pad I expect the SRS wheel ones will be the same or very similar. Cheers.

Back