horn not working

my horn wont work, replaced the full horn checked fuse and checked for power at the connecter, all good there but it wont work. any ideas......... mot is next month

the super s my misses crashed is all mashed up at the front...................................horn still works though :p

magpie said:
the super s my misses crashed is all mashed up at the front...................................horn still works though :p

nissan engineering for you :D

The horn in my girlfriends car isnt working. Its a 1995 1.0 micra. I have replaced it with a new one and no joy. Checked the fuse and thats ok. There was a mention of a Horn relay on this thread. Where is this located? Had a quick look under the bonnet and none of those mentioned the horn. I will check to see if its earthing properly tmrw. Car booked in for MOT in 2 days so I need to fix it. Might need to manually wire it up as suggested above. Any help would be much appreciated :)

ralphc said:
The horn in my girlfriends car isnt working. Its a 1995 1.0 micra. I have replaced it with a new one and no joy. Checked the fuse and thats ok. There was a mention of a Horn relay on this thread. Where is this located? Had a quick look under the bonnet and none of those mentioned the horn. I will check to see if its earthing properly tmrw. Car booked in for MOT in 2 days so I need to fix it. Might need to manually wire it up as suggested above. Any help would be much appreciated :)

welcome to the club mate ;)

the horn relay should be under the bonnet, there are two relay boxes under the bonnet depending on what car you have. but also there are relays under the dash on the driver's side check them too :)

BTW check all the fuses in the car and in the bay because some unrelated fuses can have an effect on the horn.

the problem i had on my horn was corrosion on the terminals so check that too.

if all else fails then run a new wire to the horn.

good luck mate ;)

Found some relays (additional to the ones under the bonnet). There were 4 of them to the right of the fuse box. Nothing to say what the relays were for though. pulled them out and swapped around but still no joy. There seems to be no power going to the horn switch (on the steering wheel). Got fed up after 5 hours! Went to halfords, bought a toggle switch and some cable and wired up the horn myself. It works now! Would have liked to have used the existing switch on the steering wheel but couldn't for the life of me find which wire went to the postive terminal (on the switch). Maybe that was the problem - a break between the steering column to the steering wheel. Oh well, hopefully it will pass the MOT now ;-)

ralphc said:
Found some relays (additional to the ones under the bonnet). There were 4 of them to the right of the fuse box. Nothing to say what the relays were for though. pulled them out and swapped around but still no joy. There seems to be no power going to the horn switch (on the steering wheel). Got fed up after 5 hours! Went to halfords, bought a toggle switch and some cable and wired up the horn myself. It works now! Would have liked to have used the existing switch on the steering wheel but couldn't for the life of me find which wire went to the postive terminal (on the switch). Maybe that was the problem - a break between the steering column to the steering wheel. Oh well, hopefully it will pass the MOT now ;-)

i don't think there is a positive going to the steering wheel. the battery positive goes to the horn and then the negative from the horn goes to the switch in the steering wheel and when the steering wheel is pushed it makes contact with the metal of the steering wheel colum which is ground....

if you still want to use the switch in the horn then use a continuity test between the plugs on the horn and the switch behind the steering wheel centre. if one works and the other doesn't then check the other wire against the battery. there are only two wires in the system plus a fuse so it should be fairly easy to track the dodgy wire :)

glad you have a solution tho :)

Back