Horn not working

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
As you can probs see from my blog,i've fitted an aftermarket steering wheel to my K11.

On the back of the boss,is a gold/brass looking circular plate with a wire attached. I presume this wire then connects to the horn button the wheel.

I attached the boss and wheel and tried the horn and nothing happened. Looks like this circular brass plate needs to make contact with something for it to work.

Noticed on the back of the horn button,theres another connector there for a spade terminal (next to the other one). Theres nothing on the steering column for the plate to make contact to.

Any ideas?

i cut mine off then wired one into a seperate button where the little blanking plate is on the right hand side of the dash pod..

what anth has done is the best mate as i done it to both of mine and everytime i turned my wheel the cable broke so best off relocating it fella if you want i can get the 2 colours you need to get it to work mate

was yours airbagged? (sorry not checked you blog recently) cos you wont have a plate there if it was and you'll need to make you own, should you want to use the default horn push location.

Hoodedreeper, yeah mine was on a switch originally i just told the mot guy where it was and he was happy to let it through...however its pretty straight forward to make the normal horn push work tbh.

Optispart all the bits you need should be there if yours is non airbag...cos thats where i got the bits i neded to make mine.

Unless youre missing somthing else.?

has it got the wire coming through from the boss. On mine I connected that and then earthed it by trapping some wire behind the steering wheel bolt.

yerrrr please that would be a massive help i was gonna ask but dint wanna sound cheeky erm has yours got a horn symbol?
if not has it passed mot?

Here you go:
Hornwiring.jpg

The red one is the earth (confusing i know lol) and the black one comes from the contact on the back of the boss. the gold looking prong type thing is supposed to be the earth but doesn't get a proper connection.Don't know if everyones has the 2 spades like this one?

nooooooo, leave your padded or airbagged wheels on guys :ghostface, i,ve seen too many bits of scalp and tufts of hair when i was working in the auto salvage trade, and watched a mate bust his nose on a the steering wheel in a banger race (wearing a full harness !)

Well I didn't have an airbag to start with and the standard wheel isn't any more padded than the one I have on now.

my airbag wheel, bearing in mind it had done 115,000 miles, was coming apart. the outer shell on the rim was coming away from the metal and you could twist it round. that and when i removed it we wired up the airbag to a 12v battery and it wouldnt go off...

oh and have you seen the euro ncap tests for a micra? an airbag is the least of your worries..

Got told today i've been supplied with the wrong boss? As the boss for an airbagged car comes with a connector that you plug the wiring into and it tells the car theres an airbag?

Also the airbag light is on,took apart the dials to try remove the bulb but its not removable. I can remove every other bulb except that one! I've removed the fuse and the light has stayed on constant now!

Any ideas?

black tape lol. is can you see the connections on the back, could you not just pull the wire off or break the track?

Theres another spade on the back of the horn button. The black wire that connects to the button is joined to the brass/gold ring on the boss (is this the earth?)

For the live,do i cut the original connector block off and use the live off that and extend that and connect that to the other spade on the horn button?

Only wires i've got is the one on the boss for the earth

Wires (w/ connector block) for the horn (think the connector block is black)

Wires (w/ connector block) for the airbag (think its yellow)

Been told to get rid of the airbag light issue,to cut the connector block off and join the wires to make the circuit.

Regarding the horn,should i cut the block off and connect that live to the horn button?

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know how to get around the problem of wires breaking when you turn the wheel?I've tried stretchy coiled cable but it wraps around the boss and eventually snaps!Got a button wired in for now, but is there a way of making the one on the wheel do it's job??

when i had my after market wheel i had a really really long cable that fed round the steering column as i put full lock on ... there was meant to be a spade conector from the live to the boss but my boss was crap and didnt work properly lol (its all kept in the steering plastic surround so it cant be seen either)

That's an idea!There is a circular contact point on the base of the boss, maybe intended to be the live contact, as the wire on the horn button looks like it earths through the column itself...i'll either use a scalextric-type contact to that or go for a looong bit of wire like you did...some more fettling methinks, just lost patience and thwacked a big ugly button in!!Cheers for that, brain wasn't working, does that on Sundays! :)

Yup, the live wire had to be connected to the disc on the back of the boss...and the button acts as an earth hey presto...one honking working hooter lol!

Back