Hitting the redline

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
Most factory rev limiters are usually set at a more than safe point, so if whoever designed and made the engine knew it could do Xrpm, they would set it 1000rpm or even more below what the engine could in theory do just fine.

On lots of cars when you fit an exhaust, it becomes overly easy to hit that point, I had one car that even without anything done to it, you could hit the rev limiter easy, and I used to hit it all day every day, without the car ever showing any worse signs for it.

I think in theory they are actually there more to protect from a down change than an up change, stop you damaging the drivetrain on an overlay excessive down shift.

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
Your both thinking of different situations than I am, with likely very different driving in mind, think of how you can use gearing, with a mind on what 'would' happen if your engine still received fuel and ignition if you down changed already under high rpm while still under load.

Think race like driving, or even a learner driver grabbing the wrong gear, your thinking something to do with something not quite what I was getting at, it's still helping not to over rev the engine, but under different conditions.

Actually how far can you think back?, cause there was a time in racing before rev limiters, or at least very good ones, where it was actually tricky to keep a good race car from over revving, often because they still had gut fulls of fuel, come down a gear too soon, engines over rev to the hills, better fuel management covers a lot of that now, but even in road cars that was simular.

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Most engines can handle a fair bit more revs for brief periods..
When I first put the carby's on my last micra I was so pumped to have it installed and running in an afternoon, that I forgot that it would no longer have a limiter. The induction noise (no filters/no sound deadening/intake pointing back to driver) was awesome.
Accidentally spun it over 12k multiple times, probably higher tbh. Massive cams/HD valve springs and light flywheel helped too.
CG13's love it
Stock cams it wouldn't be putting out any more power anywhere near there.

Back