Hitting the Rev Limiter!

Sometime when you get a bit excited in 1st and 2nd gear at the lights and you hit the rev limiter, will it cause damage to the engine I have only done it very occassionally.

Wanted opinions please.

Micka

i fought the whole purpose of a rev limiter was that it didnt take the revs above a certain limit so that it didnt cause damage excessive damage to the engine, but hard driving wont prolong the life of your engine

I drove a Corsa for 2 miles on the rev limiter before it blew up. (Don't ask!)

You should get away with it but you're not impressing anyone with your racing car take offs unless your Micra looks the part! :laugh:

To be honest (No disrespect for Corsa engineering) The engine build quality should if maintained and looked after well be ahead of most engines in budget/smaller cars, alot of people talk about red lining as being both bad and good, like i say, if your engine is in looked after condition you should get away with it.

As stated earlier the purpose of the limiter is so that the engine stays within a safe operable level when under use, full redline can sometimes help clean an engine by helping it remove some of the carbon deposit build up (Just what ive been told, correct me if im wrong.)

I dont think its an issue, but you dont want to make a habbitt of redlining and leaving your foot on the gas, use maximum revs as a point to change gear to 3rd if you want to have some fun, keep that micra healthy :).

Hope this clarifies!

Getaway, i have to ask,

What on earth were you doing redlining a corsa for 2 mile?!

I red-line mine quite frequently at the drag strip (obviously) its all good as-long as you change gear straight away, whats the point bouncing off the limiter?

The limiter as mentioned is there for a purpose, to stop you inflicting damage but if your on it for a while at a time your asking for it haa

What does the limiter sound like? because whilst driving my car, i have rev'd her hard a few times but i dont think ive ever hit the limiter becuase the power drops off before then.

no bud, shouldnt cause any damge to the engine...

the only way your gonna do that is by driving miles on the rev limter lol.

If you hold it on long enough theres a cut off point. Once realised this in 5th gear, car was that loud i couldnt hear it and my eyes were stuck to the road and not the rev counter

In 5th? blimey stan what was your top speed? :p

Ive hit the limiter in both second and third before and had the drop of power, good, true engineering if you ask me.

Erik doesn't worry about rev limiters :p

tn_DSCF8399.JPG

@1275
i think i can say for sure that there hasnt been a day with any of my micras that i am driving that doesnt go onto the rev limiter ( for the ones i havent got rid of yet ) and way beyond.

The picture doesnt show past their comfort zone,,,its way IN their comfort zone :)

By the way that it is 2nd gear....

@1275
The picture doesnt show past their comfort zone,,,its way IN their comfort zone :)

By the way that it is 2nd gear....

At some point you may find that this is not necessarily the case with an otherwise standard CG13DE on standard rings EBB.

I think the case is 50:50,

I dont think you've got much of a chance at breaking a cg13de if its in good nick, however seriously neglected, it could be in for more of a m-m-m-mega fail :D.

(I redline my sludged engine >< she still flies laka foow!)

@Low rider

You are probably right but here is my exsperience with one Micra:

-I have driven a Micra now for almost 1,5 years that revs in the 7500 rpms EVERY DAY , punished on the motorway and on journeys lasting more than 200 km on revs that would scare a Fiat ####less and it STILL works perfect EVERY DAY.

-The same Micra has participated on multiple track days where i have been running it on maximum rpms ( 7500 rpm+ ) for more than 10-20 rounds over and over and over again WITHOUT any problem whatsover.

-The even same Micra has been tested for more than 250 dynoruns on FULL POWER up to 7500 rpms without ANY problems.

So i would so bold to dare to say that it takes some beating to destroy :)

Micra's engines are bulletproof.......that's a FACT! :laugh:
I drive mine enthusiastically (but i wait till the engine gets warm) and no problems at all concerning the engine and the gearbox. Gear shifts are smooth and if you compare it to a Clio of the same year.......facepalm hehe :laugh:

Of course if the engine get's its services done properly (oil, filter, etc...) it will go on and on and on....

So yes....CG13DE FTW!

Alex

@Low rider

-I have driven a Micra now for almost 1,5 years that revs in the 7500 rpms EVERY DAY , punished on the motorway and on journeys lasting more than 200 km on revs that would scare a Fiat ####less and it STILL works perfect EVERY DAY.

-The same Micra has participated on multiple track days where i have been running it on maximum rpms ( 7500 rpm+ ) for more than 10-20 rounds over and over and over again WITHOUT any problem whatsover.

-The even same Micra has been tested for more than 250 dynoruns on FULL POWER up to 7500 rpms without ANY problems.

It's not directly related to engine life, although this is a factor to a point, (CG engines are extremely well built).......but more about how the engine behaves and what the limitations are for high & extended rpms. The nice thing about 4-strokers is they just keep on running ;)

We have a rally Micra and bounce off the rev limiter every time we're competing. The only time I've known a micra engine to go pop is when it hit the limiter in 2nd then go to change to 3rd but hit 1st instead. Nothing the limiter can do when this happens. Thankfully this hasn't happened to us......yet!:eek:

@Low rider

Same here:

[video=youtube;ETX0K6rPDBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETX0K6rPDBc[/video]

Those poor little engines :( I know these engines like to rev... but is there really anything to be gained from reving a standard engine above 6500 revs when peak power is delivered at 6000 revs.
Of course if you're doing the mods that Erik has done then yes there is a case for reving so highly, perhaps his engine will make peak power at 7000 revs, I'm sure we'll find out soon.

Peaking gearchanges up into the 6500+ rpm range ( in a std engine ) has nothing to do about power , rather power band / range.

Let us say that you participate in a Autoslaom course , like i often do , then there is a limited time available for you to be in the precise right gear at any given point in the
" race ".

What you need sometimes , in these situations , is a way of beeing able to keep the momentum up either by reving some extra 500-1000 revs in same gear trashing along the course or simply changing gear a bit higher up in revs before next gear and the avoiding dropping to low into the engines power / torque range during the course of lets say Autoslalom.

All low torque / small engines suffer from the abillity to climb very rapid up through the rpm range from low rpm zones doing stuff like that and thats why we " over-rev " the engines :)

Back