Hi all, lower ball joint question

C

coolio

Hi, have had my good old reliable K10 1991 LS for about 18 months now, have had to put a new gearbox in it and have replaced loads of electrics, but it has failed its MOT on the lower ball joint.

Just a quick question any tips on replacing the ball joint, as it seems like it may be quite tricky as apparently it needs drawing out of the fabrication.

Do i need to draw it out of the fabrication on a press, need a special tool or can i just hammer it out? And hammer a new one in?

Any tips, would be appreciated, Many thanks and great website, carn't believe some of the mods you lot have done to your micras!

If you hammer it out and hammer it in you risk damaging the housing for the ball joint - sometimes its cheaper - and easier to replace the whole bottom wishbone..

i brought a new pair off ebay for about £30,
if you need new one's hammer them out it doesn,t matter about damaging the old ones

That tool is for splitting the ball joint from the hub assembly - not removing it from the wishbone, you will need to press it out.

Bob - if you hammer the old one out you risk damaging the seat on the wishbone then the new balljoint wouldnt be very safe.

Cheers for the responses all

How easy is it to press it out from the arm? Guessing its gonna be a bit fiddly, plus its probably going to be quite corroded, which is why i don't really want to take the arm off, as the bolts are likely to be knackered.

Cheers for the tips, had a look at the whole lot and luckily the bolts weren't too bad so managed to get the whole arm off. And ordered another one for £28 which ain't bad at all.

Cheers for the help

Back