What ball joint separator for K11 lower suspension arm?

Evening all.

I have been working my OH's 2000 Micra 1.0 Profile this weekend. It failed the MOT test last week and needs a new front wheel bearing on the nearside. I have got the new wheel bearing already and a garage lined up to remove the old bearing and press the new bearing in once I have removed the hub carrier. I managed to get most of the job done today, but I couldn't remove the lower suspension arm as the jaw in my ball joint separator was not quite wide enough. I have a Laser scissor type ball joint separator and the jaw is 18mm so I guess it is slightly bigger than this. So, my question ...

Can anyone suggest a ball joint separator that will remove the ball joint on the lower arm? I would prefer not to use a fork type one in case it damages the rubber boot.

To help out anyone else with the same problem, here is what I found and how I got around the problem.

I ordered a slightly larger ball joint separator, a Draper one with a 19mm opening from Amazon. It was still not quite big enough, so I ended up finding another way to remove the ball joint from the lower arm ... I already had the driveshaft removed as I had to replace a CV boot, so this assumes that the driveshaft is already out of the way.

1. With the suspension strut and track rod end already removed from the hub carrier, turn it 90 degrees so you can see clearly the ball joint.
2. Jack the car up a bit more and then place an axle stand under the lower arm, and lower the car on to it so that the arm cannot move downwards.
3. Wind the ball joint nut back on to the end of the ball joint thread until it is level with the end of the thread (this is to not damage the thread in 4).
4. Using a suitable drift (I used my socket wrench extension bar) tap the end of the ball joint downloads with a lump hammer.

This method worked well for me and the ball joint popped out after a couple of taps.

Back