Help with brakes please!

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
Ok, today I wanted to get the rear drum covers off to clean up and colour code, I've done it before where I took passenger side off and to get back on it slided straight on.

So today I took both off to work between them, so all coloured so firstly passneger side went on, then for drivers side and it wouldn't!!
So 30mins of stressing later I decided to use passenger side on drivers side and it wouldn't go on either but then none would go on passengers side!

Bring on more stressing!

So having anoth micra I decided to have a look at the drums and noticed something

SLX
5.SLX.jpg

SuperS
15.SuperS.jpg

The shoes on the SuperS can move up/down and left/right but when you move one side it moves the other.

I've loosened the handbrake cable as much as possible and no help but can you?

The adjuster nut behind the hub, loosen this and the shoes will move. once i centre the shoes, the drum will slide straigh back on. You need to keep adjusting it up so that the drum just slides on so that they are tight.

It's the bar with the threaded section behind that top spring. There's a toothed nut onto which a small metal plate engages; turn the nut the opposite way to which the mechanism wants to turn it and it will shorten allowing the shoes to be closer together. Be careful not to disengage it from the brake shoes (it's pretty much impossible without taking them off) and ensure that the little bit of the plate that engages the toothed nut can still engage it properly, it's the brakes' self adjusting mechanism.

In a word, yep. Twiddle the nut so that the adjuster strut shortens, stick the drum and wheel back on and push the brake pedal really hard (before u try to drive anywhere) and the mechanism'll self adjust the necessary amount with a lot of ratcheting noise (or mine did, anyway).

Squig! Keep count but I owe you a beer (sketch too actually)

Not sure if it's helped my stress level cause it was that simple!

So how do it get like that?

By not being able to chill driving your micra ;)

Always helps me when im stressed

And yes. thats the nut i was talking about :)

Back