Help!!! Universal Air Filter Fitting

minnies

Club Member (Trial)
Hey All, have a biggg problem, dont know if anyone might be able to help, just bought a universal air filter, bloke i bought it from said it would fit my my R reg micra and apparently it dont as the air pan is on top of the carb, please can anyone tell me if theres any way to fit it, thanks

There is no air-pan or carb. There is an airbox on top of a throttle body, which your need to remove. Its the big black box at the top of the engine bay. Unclip the lid, find the screws, undo them, remove the airbox, there will 2 little pipe as you remove it, dont worry about the thin one, the slightly thicker one attaches to the cam, you need to a little cam breather from halfords or something. Then put the air-filter on the throttle body!

JayY said:
There is no air-pan or carb. There is an airbox on top of a throttle body, which your need to remove. Its the big black box at the top of the engine bay. Unclip the lid, find the screws, undo them, remove the airbox, there will 2 little pipe as you remove it, dont worry about the thin one, the slightly thicker one attaches to the cam, you need to a little cam breather from halfords or something. Then put the air-filter on the throttle body!

Thank you very much, only problem is if i put the filter on top of the throttle the bonnet wont shut, been having a look around and might have to buy a induction pipe or something to put filter at front next to battery, thanks

shud do, try push it on further, mine shuts ok, oer go to halfrauds n get a cold air feed pide , put that on the trottle top and put ya filer in a open space.

minnies can you quickly measure top to bottom of filter as i've got quite a lon PipeX filter on mine and it fits fine...

post a pic if possible and have you at all tried to take it all off and put it on??

minnies said:
Thank you very much, only problem is if i put the filter on top of the throttle the bonnet wont shut, been having a look around and might have to buy a induction pipe or something to put filter at front next to battery, thanks

I would only do that if you have the correct piping, the stuff from halfords wont do the job, its far too weak. You should be able to put the filter straight on the throttle body and run a cold air feed to it

silver_si said:
it wont if the filter is too tall!!! remember he said it's a universal filter.

just buy a different filter!

good point! if theres no luck get a K&N mate. Simple, guaranted to fit, and guaranted for 1million miles

The only thing is with the cheap universal ones is that there filteration cannot be guaranted. Some people have said the filteration can be poor on some of them, and you will end up with a knackered throttle body...

Well, fitted the filter today, after all my fuss it went on without a problem, sounds well lush!
Filter has been checked and looks to be decent quality, people say a k & n can do 1million miles guarenteed.....cars dont though!!!!
Thanks for all ya help

As in pics of the filter alone or fitted to the car??? Have one of it not fitted but aint got round to taking a fitted on yet

Swallow said:
Well I'm interested in buying a universal one myself. What sort of sound does it make?
Brooommm...lol....makes a canny roaring sound, louder than I thought it would!! I got mine off ebay, sounds well wicked, especially for a cheap and easy (well easy ish) mod..

Ive got a K & N on my k10 so know the sort of sound it makes. However someone across the road from me had a universal funnel filter on there Rover Metro and it made a hell of a loud noise. A completely different sound to my K&N, it was like a loud suction noise. He had it on the end of a pipe, so i dont know wether that would of made it sound any different.

Back