Air Filter Advice Needed

Hello, I recently bought a universal performance air filter from the local spares shop (cost £15). I have taken the original air filter out and attached it to the airbox but it hasn't made much of a difference at all to the sound. I was hoping for a nice roar but I don't really get this. Anyone got any idea how i can make it louder? the bloke in the shop said drilling the airbox would make it louder if i wanted. Any suggestions please?

Cheers

i think a picture would make this clearer. Have you removed the air box and attached it to the throttle body or just bolted onto the airbox.

For a better 'roar' you would be best fiting a cold air induction setup with the filter.

You've attached it to the air box??

It should be attached straight onto the throttle body, if it is a cone filter that is.

I'd throw it away, fit the original air box with a K&N panel filter and improve the air feed to the air box. Best thing to do with the induction in most cars!

Thanks for the help lads, it is a cone filter and have now fitted it onto the throttle body and its a big difference. All the filter came with was a hose clip and rubber inserts. Is there anything else I will need apart from possibly a breather filter for the thick hose? I'm a newbie to all of this if you couldn't already tell lol

Cheers

Thanks for the help lads, it is a cone filter and have now fitted it onto the throttle body and its a big difference. All the filter came with was a hose clip and rubber inserts. Is there anything else I will need apart from possibly a breather filter for the thick hose? I'm a newbie to all of this if you couldn't already tell lol

Cheers

Yeah you'd be best off getting a breather filter, I had to get one when I done this.

They're a tenner at Halfrauds, the universal one is a tight fit but it goes on.

Although, I had no problems with the filter without a breather on, I was told oil would spew out without one and it was fine.

You've attached it to the air box??

It should be attached straight onto the throttle body, if it is a cone filter that is.

I'd throw it away, fit the original air box with a K&N panel filter and improve the air feed to the air box. Best thing to do with the induction in most cars!

This is best for performance! Just putting a filter on top means you suck in too much hot air.

This is best for performance! Just putting a filter on top means you suck in too much hot air.

It's more the noise that i was bothered about mate. If performance stays the same i'll be keeping it as it is (Y). Also, what is fuel economy like with an induction kit on? I don't do too many miles so hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

i found i accelerated more, when i first fitted a cone filter as i liked the sound :laugh: ...so fuel economy is all related to your right foot really. :)

Back