Help timing chain.

CMF_Geoff_S

» CMF Member
Hi, new here.

Right i have removed all the old timing chains and tensioners.

The new kit arrived today but the chains only have one silver link. and no bronze or yellow markings.

How do i set the valve timing correctly, i have got it all at tdc before i removed the chains.

Anyone got any pics or diagrams

Thanks

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
geoff

the inlet and exhaust lobes need to be sort of facing each other but holding the valves open about 1mm, on tdc ( the 2nd notch from the left on the pulley )
if thats any help ?

frank

CMF_Geoff_S

» CMF Member
Thanks i understand that, but wouldn't you have thought that they would have put marks on the cylinder head to align the notches on the cam wheels.

But if its slightly out won't the engine run crap and might do long term damage.?

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
geoff

yes not very helpful of nissan eh !
i always turn the engine over a couple of times (plugs out) to check theres no valve contact
when i did mine,a 5thou feeler guage was starting to get trapped at about 20deg btdc on the inlets and 20deg atdc on the exhausts

CMF_Geoff_S

» CMF Member
Managed to get the new chains installed along with all the other bits. Turned the engine over a good few times no contact. The tensioners are moving in and out, i guess that's because they is no oil pressure.

Do i need to prime the oil pump? When i changed an oil pump on a ford probe i packed it with Vaseline.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
It takes a long time for the oil to fill up the gallery's & get up to pressure.
Take the spark plug leads off & crank it over for a while or until the oil light goes out.

You could have transferred the marks from the old chain onto the new one.

CMF_Geoff_S

» CMF Member
Started it up today started first turn of the key and runs ok, but they is a slight intermittent scraping type noise from the cam chain area, but no where has near has bad has it was.

Maybe it will settle down after its had time to bed in.

Back