Help please A.S.A.P

Ive had to drive all the way to plymouth to sort my old k11 facelift out that my brother drives. (still)

Car has done 123,000......was driven for 2 years without no servicing..............then minor serivce done.

Fuel is flowing fine with no blockage

The trouble we are having is that the last couple days he has had starting issue's and now the car will only turn over but not fire up.#

Ive taken all 4 plugs out and tested the spark..........all fine.

There was water/oil/fuel at the bottom of the inlet manifold?? so we soaked it up and now its dry.

Ive turned the car over with no plugs in to check for water in the block..........all clean..

All 4 plugs are black and damp.............we are currently drying them out using a hair dryer on low heat as we havent got alot of time.

We just been to motor factors and got x4 denzo plugs and new fuel filter.....fuel filter is fitted.

Anyone shed some REAL PROPER HELP on this issue...............please read my thread clearly i dont want people writing silly comments..................this is a real head scratcher now.grrgrrgrr

Jas:blues:

Ive had the same crap in the inlet manifold...it seems to be just a mix of vapour and oil from the cam cover breather return line...so its gotta normal.

hard to say Jas...if its overfueling maybe a bad fuel pressure regulator? ...not sure how often they go bad though...none of the fuel lines are kinked are they?

worth a look at ignition switch.sound like exactly what happend to me,,i am at 124,000 miles
unplug its plug and do the hot wire sequance(just by passes the shagged ign switch)

Hello guys, Thanks for all your help so far.

I'm Mark, its me who Jason came to help in Plymouth today.

We have managed to get it going finally after a little struggle. Below are the steps we took to get it to work after doing what Jason has already posted:-

1. After the plugs had dried fully we tried them back in the car but still had no joy, was turning over but just not catching.
2. Took the old plugs back out, check for damp again, they seemed fine to we put new denzo plugs and gave it another go.
3. (This part maybe fable or fact but we read it somewhere else).. We tured it on and off 5 times and on the 6 sixth time we turned it over..(apparently 5 times turning off and on it means to reset to sensors). Anyhows, On the 6sixth time we tuend it over and after a few shakey seconds it finally came to life!

now, after about a minute of idle we blipped the accelorator but it seem'd to have a struggle and felt like it was going to choke and die. After a few more minutes of the engine idleign and the temp guage had reache half way, the engine was nice and warm and purred like a kitten (well, as much as a 1 litre can!).

Does anyone now have any clearer idea of what could of happened? My worry is of course now tomorrow morning when its cold, its not going to want to start and I wont be able to get to work.

Bit of back ground: It has been fine all year and since we had the bad rain for the last couple of days it started to play up. Thats why I thought it might ofgot wet and damp or cold.

I'm going to have to take it out at 5:30pm to get my miss's from work so I can update you on it then.

Any help would be most appricated.

thats good news!
mine would also only start if i wiggled the ignition sound like switch broken damaged inside

Thanks for your response R-Reg-SR.. Do you know where/how I would go about figuring out which switch to replace?

Woudl the clod/Damp have anything to do with it?

hey mate its worth iliminating the ignition switch,
remove the lower plastic behing the steering wheel,looking under theyr behind the key barrel(where the key goes in) you should see a plastic black round ignition switch(need to bend the top of the small star/philips screw driver as theyrs no space for it)
loosen the tiny silver screw (on the ign switch)with a few turns then its possible to use a small electrical philips screw driver to undo the rest
hard to tell realy if its had it apart from when the cars runing it isnt sposed to get very hot--you could open it to see where its gone weak or broke--------worth a quik chek any way.i got my replacement from a lower mileage in the scrappers

hi Guys,

just a quick update.. *fingers crossed* took the wife to work a min ago and it started 1st time. lets hope same thing happens tomorrow morning :)

Ah well good to know it seems an easier fix than we all thought :D

Only reason i can think of is maybe the ecu freaked (nice and technical lol)

Back