help on amp and sub

sinead54

Ex. Club Member
hi

i have a set of 80w speakers in my boot thingy and fly 120w in my doors, what amp and sub would i need? and accessories. i know the speakers arent great but any help would be good.

thanks

do you still have the factory head unit (HU) or has this been upgraded?

are you planning to run all your current speakers in addition to the sub from the amp, or just the sub only?

if ur still running the original HU, you will need to tap into the speaker wires for the RCAs to connect to the amp, as the original HU does not have any RCAs out.

if u have an aftermarket HU, you will have to decide whether your going to run your speakers from the HU or from the amp, this would probably decide on how many channels and how much power amp you should get

hhhmmmm ive got a cd/dvd player in at the minute?

im not really sure what to do, thats why im asking for a few ideas/advice as im pretty clueless!!!!
whats the difference from connecting the speakers and amp, to just running the amp on its own? apart from the obvious :blush:

hi you should leave the speakers how they are now and get your self a sony xplod or an infinity 1200w or 1500w and run the sub on a 2000w amp

Dont touch sony x-chav stuff... it may be cheap, but its cheap for a reason.

save up and spend what you can afford, but buy the best you can afford.

ask repetesir, hes an audio genious...

wot you mean sony chav you dont no bout sound system then wot would you sugest then antony ??

Antony worked in a car audio department ;)

Sony used to produce lovely car audio, that's no longer the case...

Depending on your budget, look for the likes of JBL, Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine through to DLS, Genesis, Soundstream, etc!

Give me a budget and I'll work with it to spec you up a system.

hhhmmmm :eek: dont be fighting now joke

so you think i should just run the amp to the headunit? and it would sound ok.

i was originally going to buy a mutant package but in another post i read not to even touch it, as their cheap.

didnt really have a budget in mind, just reasonable good quality. i like pioneer stuff and im not looking to vibrate the road or anything :laugh:

would saying 100-200 quid be tight lol i dont have a notion?
if i get this sorted soon then its 1 thing off my list, took my dog for her booster jags last night and came out with the possibility of her needing an operation!! not good £170

I run a pioneer headunit with MP3 + Ipod, To a JBL Amp + JBL components + tweeters + 12" JBL GT4 Sub, It's fantastic :)

only thing is my HU is a cheapy off ebay from hong kong. it caused a headache before and i honestly dont know what shapes its in at the back, probably ready to blow up lol
so my cd/dvd isnt even a brand

:laugh: :laugh:

i know the ones you mean! if i was you i would get a decent hu first! have a shop around and get some recommendations! Clarion is mine! lol

all right then mate wot do you think of ifinaity then ??

Yep Infinity are pretty decent, moreso than Sony at the moment.

Go for a 4-channel amp,an amp wiring kit and subwoofer. You should be able to get all 3 for under £200. Then bridge 2 of the amp channels into 1 to run the subwoofer, and use the other 2 channels to amp your front speakers (you'll need to run some speaker cable to them from the amp).

The JBL GT4 Subwoofer is an excellent starting point. The new GT5 is now available which means that the GT4's are now much cheaper (under £30 delivered on Ebay)!

Stick with your headunit for now, it should still have a few preouts for the amp.

link below would cost 85quid

or just the sub on its own with no box is 40 quid. heads melted lol

what is clarion stuff like? got offered a 2nd hand amp either 340w or 600w and also 2 sonic/zonic subs. havent got a price

Back