Help! N/S driveshaft oil seal leaking!

mikey

Ex. Club Member
Can anyone shed light on this, i have a leak from the driveshaft on the passenger side, and it's mot time in April...i'm sure ive read a post about this before (frank??) but can't find it! Anyway does anyone know how difficult it's gonna be to sort this, and whether it might have been caused by me overfilling the gearbox oil?? I know i should have stopped when it covered the speedo drive...got carried away tho :down: Is it likely to continue to leak until empty, or could it stop on it's own?(Doubtful but hopeful!)

Cheers in advance guys, any advice is greatly appreciated (Y)

mikey

i asked frank a while ago can you overfill your gear box? he said dont worry if its too full it has a overflow pipe it will come out there if it does. mines been overfilled mines been ok. maybe your driveshaft is abit worn?

Aw damn,cheers man... well i reckoned i'd need a driveshaft oil seal, just hope it's not a problem with the shaft itself!I don't think it'll be too hard to replace an oil seal though, but if there's a knack to it i'd love to find out before the swearing starts eh! :p

Cool man, i'm gonna have a bash at replacing it next weekend (Not sure if i can get the part before then) does anyone know if it's an easy job?I'm sure i can get to the driveshaft out point, but the actual removal and replacement is the bit i want to make sure i know what i'm doing!
Cheers folks!

the seal only flicks out with a flat screwdriver mikey, then a big socket is best to drive the new one in.
and if you jack the one side up high you wont lose much oil (remove the 2 hub to leg bolts, fire it onto full lock, and the joint will pop out of the diff with a prybar or chisel :grinning:

You're the man Frank, thanks very much for the guide!!Who needs a haynes when ya can ask Frank?!(Y)
I would ask Stani-the-man to do it for me, but it's about time i got me hands dirty eh :p

You're the man Frank, thanks very much for the guide!!Who needs a haynes when ya can ask Frank?!(Y)
I would ask Stani-the-man to do it for me, but it's about time i got me hands dirty eh :p

yeah why look through haynes when you can call frank*geek* (Y)

DSC01060.jpg

Hi, my n/s driveshaft seal is leaking and I removed it to inspect what was going on and found this wear where the seal sits. Could this be what is causing the seal to wear and then leak? (Seal was changed 6 months ago by mechanic and still leaking)

you can hardly feel a wear ring at all on the smooth shaft surface, i was thinking it may be the chips on the lower lip or does the seal not come into contact with that bit?

Frank, thanks for your continued help mate, how deep is the limit for a wear ring? Could it be the gearbox housing causing the seal to perish? Contemplating buying new drive shaft or finely sanding housing and shaft surfaces and just fit new seal...

Cant seemed to find a new near side drive shaft with the correct dimensions anywhere. (24 teeth gearbox side, 23 wheel side and 630mm long) Phoned at least 10 companies plus europarts dont do one at all. Also tried to get just the inner CV joint on its own but no luck. Dont really know where to get a good quality second hand one. Any ideas?

Back