help! cisco! shift problems

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
sorry cisco, i have to call on you again. ive finally got the right cv joint, but now i have another problem. the gears are hard to engage. once the car is moving, the upshift is smooth as, but the downshift is quite notchy. i know there is adjustment in the cable and pedal, and it made a difference but we dont seem to be able to get rid of it completely. ive called a clutch guy (jim berry) and he has told me that there are number of possibilities, the bracket holding the cable is flexing, the cable has stretched etc. i was looking on the japanese fast cd and noticed that the models from august 96 had a clip lock thingy on the cable and bracket. please refer illustration. did yours have it? im not sure what year of march my gearbox came out of. i also noticed that the japanese marches had 3 different clutch cables. can you please tell me what you used? thanks in advance

Attachments

• 27847.jpg
    27847.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 27

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
No. Regardless of length you're still levering it the same distance. If the clutch cable is stretching as you press the clutch then you've got problems (exact deal as the flexing arm on the gearbox which is a common fault).

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
i noticed that the bracket that holds the clutch cable flexing quite a bit when pedal is pushed. im running a nismo clutch now with more pressure put into it by jim berry. will the flexing of the bracket cause notchy gear selection?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
GTRHOLIC WROTE:

"i noticed that the bracket that holds the clutch cable flexing quite a bit when pedal is pushed. im running a nismo clutch now with more pressure put into it by jim berry. will the flexing of the bracket cause notchy gear selection?

What mipcar said. If that bracket is flexing then you're not getting the full clutch movement you're meant to be getting.

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
upshifting is perfect though. gears dont crunch going up or down, just hard to get in. solutions? bracing on bracket? has anyone else experienced this? surely there must be some heavy clutches out there. mine is supposedly running 1400lbs.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Depends on how far it is flexing. Ive personally never heard of that particular bracket flexing. Its probably the most solid and trouble free component of the clutch setup in the pulsars and micras.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Depends on which piece of metal you're talking about there! If its the one in that fast screen dump you've taken a pic of there then that's the first i've heard of that happening. Usually the arm which acts as the pivot point for the throwout bearing to press the clutch fingers in is the part which flexes, snaps etc.

Back