Help A Computer Dummy

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
I want to go VOIP. Two ways according to my internet providor. Buy a new modem from them at a discounted price of $199 as mine is not capable or buy a ATA for around $80/$100.Whats the diff?? as evidently both do the job so why would you buy a new VOIP capable modem??

cisco

» CMF Member
If your current modem is ageing, the $199 new modem could be a few upgrades in one, i.e. in addition to the VOIP.

It might be (a) ADSL2+ compliant. And if you live in Perth, iiNet are massive there and offer ADSL2+ in a lot of places. So you could end up making your internet 10x faster as well as getting VOIP. That's if you don't have an ADSL2+ compatible modem already.

It might be (b) wireless. I.e. let's your computers have little antennas making connectivity throughout the house without any ugly network or USB cables. Maybe you have this already too, but that's another that thing you would tend to get in a modern modem for about the $199 mark. Mine was $199 I think on special to existing customers from iiNet and its wireless, ADSL2+ enabled, and VOIP, plus a 4 port switch in the back etc.

All depends on what ya want and what your current modem can do I guess.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I've got the iinet supplied Belkin 4 port switch with wireless and VOIP for $199 too.

Its not a bad little unit. First one was DOA (VOIP didnt work) and it seems that this one is randomly dropping out the VOIP which freezes the modem for a second or so causing the network to crap out (i'm using only wireless).

I might call iinet and get them to send another modem out. They're pretty good with that. :)

cisco

» CMF Member
Heh. The VOIP dropping out seems to happen to almost all iiNet subscribers. Man mine does it all the time. Today my WLAN dropped out too. Yeah I'm running laptops only thesedays, so its all wireless like you Yom. Do you ever read www.whirlpool.net.au? I go on there a fair bit to try to keep up with it all and read about what new whinging other iiNet customers are venting about.. There were a few threads all about these Belkins and problems etc. I think there was a firmware upgrade. Damn, I haven't checked or upgraded mine yet, might be a very good idea.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I avoid whirlpool. I usually get e-angry and start ranting at the clueless. You might say it is bad for my health.

The VOIP dropping out thing hasnt been a problem for us until last sunday night? Damned if i know why.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
My current one about 6months old as I went wireless so my daughter can use my old laptop as well and leave me only on the desktop !!It has 4 ports in the back. Its a D Link DSL G604T model.Never had a problem and the laptop gets a strong signal anywhere in the house.
Feel the ATA way will be okay.Yes/No?
Since been back on line the whole thing seems to work even faster.
Man I cannot imagine going any faster !!
Still watch my daughter doing text messages and her fingers going 40 to the dozen while I get laughed at when I send one.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I'd go the all in one modem.

Never hurts to have a spare ADSL modem sitting around (in the way of the DLink). I still have my netgear setup sitting in the closet waiting for the day we're out and a storm comes through & zaps the damn belkin.

Cisco: I used an ancient chinese form of problem rectification last night on the belkin. I whacked the sh!t out of it. It hasn't dropped out yet...

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Ha rang iinet. Spoke to a really helpful guy so in the end buying a ATA from them for $99.00 plus have to buy an el cheapo cordless phone to hook into it as want to keep other phone for incoming.
Also had my speed doubled to 512 kb? at no extra cost so that will do for me.
Thanks guys for all the advice,thats whats great about this site even if it is not Micra related!!
The guy at iinet has the same set up as me and reckons it works a treat.No time lag on the phone, no drop outs etc.
Thats enough technology for me for a while.
I know, I know, next step set up the video as well.
Perth meet tomorrow!!!

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Wow, i just installed a VOIP software phone into my crappy computer (needed to setup Mic+Speakers from 1 soundcard (YUCK!!!)) and it took me all freaking day! :D VERY irritating, but lots cheaper. I can now make video+voice calls to people overseas for the price of bandwidth. Super stuff! $80 for webcam and headset + $5 worth of Coke to keep me going with the 6 hour long setup process.

I highly recommend hardware VOIP, as its easier, and wireless phone would be nice. If you do get drop outs, keep a spare software VOIP program runing and use a SIP account to enjoy free calls.

Back