A big thank you

CMF_Alan B

» CMF Member
A week or so ago, our 11 year old Micra (1.0 Wave) started misfiring/cutting out to the point where it was virtually undriveable and had to be recovered home on a breakdown truck. Once home, I started checking through various electrical connectors, checked and cleaned the distributor cap and leads, changed the fuel filter (it was way overdue and the fault felt like fuel starvation) all to no avail.

A mechanic friend suggested that it might be the mass air flow sensor, however he did not have the equipment to interrogate the engine management system for the fault code.

Reluctantly, I booked the car into the local main dealer for a diagnostic check. They were fully booked for almost a week ahead but the lady I spoke to also thought the problem might be the air flow sensor and quoted me £490 for the throttle body (I didn't realise that it all came in one lump) plus labour, plus tax (17.5%) - OUCH!

I then started looking around on the internet for the possibility of buying a used or reconditioned throttle body, however I still hadn't confirmed the diagnosis. By chance I came across this forum and downloaded Alex B's guide to resoldering the connections on the throttle body.

As soon as the cover plate came off, I could see the problem. Three dry solder joints from the PC board to the external connector. I remade the joints, temporarily refitted the cover and started the engine - problem solved.

So, a very big thank you to Alex B for his contribution which saved us a lot of money for an hour or so's work.

One thing still puzzles me, the Haynes manual for the Micra refers to the engine management system warning light on the dash which should illuminate in case of a fault. The owner's manual for our car (which we have had from new) makes no reference to a warning light and I don't recall ever seeing one when the ignition is switched on. Does anyone out there know whether the early cars, (ours is a 1994 1.0 'Wave') were fitted with an engine management system warning light?

Also, the Haynes manual states that the fault codes can be read via a flashing LED on the right hand side of the conrol unit under the center console if you link two specific terminals of the diagnostic plug with the ignition switched on. I tried this and the LED just remained lit constantly - any ideas?

Once again, many thanks - Alan B

cisco

» CMF Member
Good on you Alex, and glad you got your problem sorted Alan.

So the throttle body problem really is a confirmed issue.

This is another case which confirms it.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
thanks guys,

>>>but always remember seano (mighty_cg13de) posted on old the forums his success and a brief how to do it...

big thanks to seano!

i followed sean's instructions nad used my digital camera and pc/knowhow to make up a .pdf for download :p

but i'm very pleased it has fixed your problem and saved you a pretty penny :D,

Alex

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
i am sure pre 1996 dont have check light in the instrument panel. if the led on ecu hastn changed then the diagnosis activation has not started, maybe you havent quite connected the correct terminals together. keep trying to connect with a wire the far left pin and the one to the right of it. try right at the bottom, then slightly higher up if that doesnt work. hold in place for a second or 2.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
i have a 1995 micra and it doesnt have a check light, i have seen a 1995 micra and it had one, both 1.0 uk. australian micra have some differences from uk. speedo obviosly for a start. so they may all have check light. or all 1.3 may have them.

haynes manuals are written for uk spec micra.

Back